Bird flue; travelling around

p;3 02:14 19 Feb 2006

click here

as this is a global forum; how far has this bird flue spread?

spuds 10:32 19 Feb 2006

France now, possibly UK next?.

Like all these diseases, there can be no barriers. Defra are now requiring everyone who keeps more than fifty head of poultry and the like, to register with them. Someone with less than this amount still have chances of contacting this disease. The person with a dozen backyard chickens are just as responsible for notification to the authorities if they suspect something is wrong with their flock.But how many have the knowledge, as to what to look for, unless they contact a vet etc.

Some people in the UK are already getting paranoid, and are disposing of the feathered friends to the likes of animal rescue centres.

p;3 10:49 19 Feb 2006

problem is, you cannot stop birds from flying , migrating...

they dont need a passport, permissions to go anywhere...

pc_sausage 11:21 19 Feb 2006

Apparently we've had bird flu in the UK before and not much fuss was made (although not sure if was the most severe strain).

Media certainly can't resist hyping it up. Can't go on worrying about it though.

My tips that everyone can apply for minimising exposure:

1) Do not feed ducks at the pond
2) At KFC, only have chip and pop - strictly no bargain buckets
3) Do not watch 'Howard the Duck' movie re-runs
4) Cancel membership to the Orville fan club

Good Luck :)

Jackcoms 11:48 19 Feb 2006

Is bird flue something inside your chimney??

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:58 19 Feb 2006

Until I start growing feathers and trying to lay eggs I will not worry one bit. Nothing you can do about it and life is too short to worry about a lot of hype as the papers seem to have a quiet news week. Dimbleby on the box this a.m, casting a funerial visage does not help either. Might as well worry about the planet being walloped by an asteroid. Triple meh! for me.

G

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:59 19 Feb 2006

Judging by a couple of recent threads I suspect that bird flu has arrived quicker than we could have imagined.

G

DrScott 12:32 19 Feb 2006

I too feel there is a lot of hype about this, though the threat to human life is very real. Still, I don't think I'll get too concerned until European people start contracting the disease - then the step to person-person transmission is that bit smaller.

Probably best to stay clear of sneezing chickens though...

Forum Editor 12:55 19 Feb 2006

for about a millisecond.

Because there's absolutely nothing I can do to stop it or encourage the spread of it, and when I have no control over events I tend to get on with what remains of my life.

Over the years I can remember scares about half a dozen dire diseases and catastrophes that were going to wipe out humanity. So far humanity shows little sign of being eradicated from the planet - exactly the opposite in fact.

octal 14:37 19 Feb 2006

"A 3km (two-mile) exclusion zone has been established around the infected farm, and another one million chickens from nearby farms will be vaccinated."

Someone forgot to tell the birds not to fly into that zone!

:-)

DrScott 14:43 19 Feb 2006

I might have to worry about it more than a millisecond because if people in the UK do get it, then I'm fairly likely to be looking after them (well, if they end up in our unit here)!!

But for now, I will spend no more milliseconds worrying about it...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?