Biggest Wave of Industrial Action for 85 Years...NOT!

Quickbeam 08:32 01 Jul 2011

Well that was all a bit of a wet squib wasn't it?

The most noticeable thing for me was the free flowing traffic compared to a normal Thursday.

robgf 08:52 01 Jul 2011

I think the union leaders were expecting the teachers closing schools to have the most impact. But parents are so used to finding alternative child care for the innumerable training days and holidays, that apart from a minor grumble, they hardly noticed.

birdface 08:56 01 Jul 2011

PM said the same which will mean there will be a bigger turn up the next time.

Maybe picked on teachers thinking that they would be the easiest target to start with.

birdface 09:12 01 Jul 2011

robgf

I think the idea was to pick on Teachers etc knowing or hoping that there would be no riot's unlike the students protest.

Unfortunately the next strike may not be so peaceful as even teachers will fight for what they think is right.

[ Parents are so used to finding alternative child care for the innumerable training days ]

If an all out strike what would the parents do then.

johndrew 09:51 01 Jul 2011

Perhaps all those who think they are hard done by should consider their position relative to those in industry who had their pension 'pots' raided by GB. Many of the schemes were forced to close as a result and those that survived were reduced in ways not dissimilar to the public scheme.

As a simple function of equality it is not unreasonable for the public sector to have schemes which equate to those of the private sector (in fact the current offer is better than most) especially as it is the 'producers' (the private sector) that pay for them.

Teachers appear to believe they are a special case - not so. They are no different to the many thousands of other workers in this country; they simply do a job that has better holidays than most and shorter working hours. I worked in industry and put many hours of unpaid time in to ensure the job was done correctly and on time (this in part to secure the jobs of others) and I am not alone in this. My salary was not as high as that of many teachers. Many teachers claim to work outside of school time but fail to utilise the free periods available or even to work a full eight hour day. I have little sympathy with them and consider they should try a stint in the private sector if they believe it to be better than that which they currently enjoy.

Woolwell 09:56 01 Jul 2011

johndrew - I agree that many of the public sector pensions are generous (especially the police) but you clearly have no idea about teaching in the modern day. Time during the day free? Try telling that to some of the primary school teachers.

OTT_B 10:30 01 Jul 2011

johndrew

Most of my family have worked as teachers in one capacity or another, and they all agree on this; free time during the day is pretty well non existent these days and working (without paid overtime) during the evenings is needed, but there's no beating the holiday time and pension. I don't doubt that teaching is extremely stressful, more so that most people realise. I've never taught myself and would never want to. Private sector pay is better (for me), and no matter how stressful someone thinks their job is, teaching has the same stresses, and more.

Teaching needs a systemic overhaul, not pension reforms.

spuds 10:44 01 Jul 2011

"Try telling that to some of the primary school teachers".

Well I do not know what happened around my way, but yesterday the local primary school was closed for pupils, but looking at the teachers car park,which was full, the usual teachers cars were there so most if not all the teachers had apparently turned up.

I am still trying to find out why this was the case, because the local parent's who children use the school do not know, but perhaps it may have had something to do with the latest Ofsted inspection report, which wasn't very impressive?.

The question as also been put, as to whether the teacher's who had 'turned up' were receiving normal salary and entitlements. Which I believe some of the parent's have asked the governors to look into?.

The local 'infant' school was 'part closed, part open'. Some teachers and classroom assistant's turned up, others didn't.

Quickbeam 10:47 01 Jul 2011

Having left school in '72 and witnessed all the strife caused by various striking factions in the '70's and then the mammoth miner's strike, it's fair to say that no-one has the bottle for more than a sunny day protest strike.

We now have a generation that doesn't want to go down that route at the first and slightest chance, thank god...

JYPX 14:42 01 Jul 2011

Quickbeam is spot on here. As Crocodile Dundee might well have said: "Strike....? That's not a Strike!"

peter99co 14:49 01 Jul 2011

I wonder if Friday or Monday would have been a better day. At least it would have made a long weekend.

Total waste of time and money with no effect on the outcome anyway.

They have not decided what will be done yet. For the first time ED got it right.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?