biggest wave of industrial action for 85 Years!

Autoschediastic 14:53 18 Jun 2011

Its a real shame no one got together and complained like this about the petrol prices like they did years ago!!!

READ THIS

peter99co 16:36 18 Jun 2011

They can strike and moan as much as they like but it is still going to happen.

Pine Man 16:55 18 Jun 2011

'biggest wave of industrial action for 85 Years!' and to hell with the country!

Still Bob Crow won't have anything to worry about as long as the industrial action doesn't hit the top restaurants;-)

zzzz999 18:09 18 Jun 2011

how are the pension funds of the spivs and bankers that got us here?

Condom 18:30 18 Jun 2011

As much as all the trouble was not caused by the bankers I think the majority of it was and we should never let our present leaders forget about it. Let us keep questioning the pension pots of these people and continue to ask why they were not fired for incompetance without their pensions. That is what would happen to anyone else so why not them?

recap 23:31 18 Jun 2011

Unison is having a bit of a battle with it's members to come out on strike, it may not happen. As has been said "it will do no good", this is what quite a few members are saying. A number of years ago members came out on strike for 8 weeks and it got them nowhere, these members have not forgotten this. This is one of the reasons why Unison is having trouble getting the full backing of it's members.

Quickbeam 01:21 19 Jun 2011

I hardly think that a one day strike qualifies as the biggest wave of industrial action for 85 Years!

It'll be no more disrupting than the recent Royal Wedding day off, and if well planned, seeing as we know about it, should cause not a lot of bother at all.

It's all just wind and piss as they're saying in these parts. A real strike lasts for a year, causes massive financial loss, great personal hardship, huge community strife, colossal business upheaval... and achieves nothing at all.

I don't have the time of day for part time strikers that think a day of protest will achieve anything at all other than a jolly day out.

bremner 10:50 19 Jun 2011

I work in an office of 40 people where 60% of the staff are in Unison and the remainder are not in any union.

I have yet to speak with a colleague in Unison who says they would go on strike.

This may not be typical but does indicate that the union leadership is perhaps not that reflective of their membership. It will only become clear once a vote has been held.

Colin 11:07 19 Jun 2011

The strike will be pointless but I suppose the unions have to show their opposition otherwise the government will be able to say that people agree with their policies. To say that it will be the biggest wave of industrial action for 85 years is just wind and water, (I like quickbeam’s version!), but it makes good press. I don’t think that there is the support for public sector workers from the private sector that union leaders seem to think there is.

zzzz999 11:13 19 Jun 2011

PCS has an ace up its sleeve. HMRC workers are mainly PCS union members, stop collecting income and you starve Government of cash, that would help focus minds. I suspect public sector pension holders would be more disposed to accepting change if they saw that change being applied as part of a shared and even repsonse to getting the country's finances back on an even keel. Instead we have a Government led by individuals who hide their own money in off shore accounts, who fail to challenge the real cause of the banking failure and continue to allow the same chancers obscene bonuses, who are toying with reducing the higher rate of income tax while increasing lower level taxation (VAT, etc). Meanwhile the Government creates smoke and mirrors with regard to MP's pensions.

I can understand why these people are angry.

Pine Man 11:52 19 Jun 2011

'I suspect public sector pension holders would be more disposed to accepting change if they saw that change being applied as part of a shared and even repsonse to getting the country's finances back on an even keel.'

I am a retired public sector worker whose pension has effectively been reduced by the use of CPI rather than RPI and I am happy to play my part in getting the country's finances back on an even keel.

'we have a Government led by individuals who hide their own money in off shore accounts,'

Namely?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?