Bigger Subsidy Wanted?

morddwyd 08:36 22 Aug 2010

DFDS took over Norfokline last month, and have almost immediately announced the end of the passenger ferry from Rosyth as a loss maker, though all previous reports indicated it was profitable.

Obviously a sound business decision if true.

However, quote from the local paper

"We will, of course, continue our talks with the Scottish Government in order to find possible, economically viable solutions to introduce a passenger service in the future."

Am I being overly cynical with my thread title?

961 10:11 22 Aug 2010

May be profitable in the summer but spring autumn and winter it's half empty

sunnystaines 11:13 22 Aug 2010

why are ferries in the uk either to Ireland, IOW, or Isles of Scotland so expensive compared to ferries on mainland europe.

Kevscar1 11:21 22 Aug 2010

Probably because we pay a lot more for fuel here + union wages

Quickbeam 11:46 22 Aug 2010

Supply band demand, hundreds of thousands travel to the continent in a year, but not many visit the Western Isles in the same year. That's why it costs much more to visit the Isle of Mann on a race week when there's something to see compared to the rest of the year. That price difference really grates me.

ams4127 22:35 22 Aug 2010

If anyone is interested, Manx2 are currently running flights from RAF Valley to the Isle of Man. Outbound from Valley on Friday afternoons, returning on Monday mornings. These link with the daily return flights to and from Cardiff. I believe the fares are about £39 each way.

It's being run until early September as an experiment to judge take up.

I was the one who suggested it early this year. I emailed them and pointed out that their "positioning" flight flew to the IoM empty and pointed out that some, or all seats could be filled by people here wanting to watch the TT or Manx GP races.

They replied thanking me for wanting to charter one of their aeroplanes!! I left it at that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone