Big Brother will be watching you

anchor 13:05 05 Oct 2008

Ministers are considering spending up to £12 billion on a database to monitor and store the internet browsing habits, e-mail and telephone records of everyone in Britain.

GCHQ, the government’s eavesdropping centre, has already been given up to £1 billion to finance the first stage of the project.

This will be in addition to the mass of CCTV cameras that cover the country.

Are we going too far?.

click here

spuds 13:35 05 Oct 2008

This is not new, it as been talked about for some time now.

Was it Orwell that started all this, and the sceptics said it would never happen :O(

cream. 13:43 05 Oct 2008

Why 12 billion?

Can't they get a copy of the data from ISP's and telephone companies that hold it for 6 months (?).

As to cctv, we have it almost evrywere but we could be forced to wear one of these click here and be wired ( WiFi'd ) up to a hotspot.

As to the notion, I don't mind. It just the cost.

canarieslover 14:05 05 Oct 2008

So that's why they're closing Post Offices, so that we can't revert to snail mail. At least you can tell when an envelopes been tampered with.

wiz-king 15:27 05 Oct 2008

You can? Britain had one of the best 'black chambers' in WW2 and it was based at sorting offices around the country.
If your interested read these notes - click here

peter99co 15:54 05 Oct 2008

Twelve Thousand Million is the same amount that

Mr Brown earlier said he wanted an early release of 15bn euros (£12bn; $21bn) from a 30bn euros European Investment Bank (EIB) fund to help small firms.

If you talk in Billions a lot it obviously does not seem so much.

version8 15:56 05 Oct 2008

Don't GCHQ do this already?

beeuuem 16:08 05 Oct 2008

I hope that Mr Brown et al remember that if you eavesdrop you rarely hear anything good about yourself.

pj123 16:29 05 Oct 2008

They are welcome to check my browsing, email and telephone records.

They'll soon get fed up with all the mundane things I do.

lofty29 19:17 05 Oct 2008

pj123
You would be surpised at what you consider mundane, could easily throw up certain key words which is what that type of survalence looks for, for example suppose you wanted, following an item you had read, you wanted to know what a jehad was, that could well be a keyword, I was looking up the other day about electrons, which leads onto atoms which can lead onto nuclear fisson and fusion, and radiation.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?