Beware..the music police...

  Seth Haniel 13:38 20 Jan 2009

click here

Music in the workplace may make the day pass quicker but it's a benefit that can come with a hefty price tag, as some small business owners are starting to find out.

  Pine Man 13:58 20 Jan 2009

I have nothing but sympathy for the PRS and musicians that they represent.

  donki 14:02 20 Jan 2009

What if a taxi man has the radio on? We have a radio on in my work right now... wonder if the bosses know about the PRS? :)

  Mike D 14:48 20 Jan 2009

I was recently involved in the setting up of a new dental practice. A TV and a radio were specified for both enterainment and, in the case of the TV, playing health education DVDs. The TV/radio Licensing people told me that broadcast programmes were covered by the royalties paid by the broadcasters and that prerecorded music CDs and movie DVDs were the domain of PRS. They were wrong, PRS told me in no uncertain terms that unless we applied for a licence to play music in public they would prosecute and take us to court and they would win. End of argument.

  Si_L 15:12 20 Jan 2009

At my old work, because of the mechanic incident, we had to get rid of the radio. We all hated not having the radio, same for the customers.

  newman35 15:14 20 Jan 2009

If music is being played on a radio, then the station will have paid royalties for that music to be broadcast already.
If each staff member in a small business was listening to the radio on their own personal radio, on their desk, would they all have to pay PRS?
There are so many anomalies and grey areas, it's a minefield.

  interzone55 15:22 20 Jan 2009

We've had discussions about this before although I can't find the thread at the moment.

Basically, where-ever music is played outside the home you need to purchase an appropriate PRS For Music licence. The fee payable depends on an enormous number of factors, but is usually calculated on the number of people who can hear the music in the case of offices, factories etc, or the sq footage in the case of shops.

The fee for a Taxi is £29.67 per year.
For offices / factories the fees are
click here
For shops they are
click here

  brindly 16:58 20 Jan 2009

I wish the PRS would come round to my road and charge the idiot who lets me and other residents hear his dam thumping base from his car every evening. They never seem to tackle the anti social B....ds.

  interzone55 17:06 20 Jan 2009

That would be because it isn't the job of the PRS to police that kind of thing.

Noise abatement is the job of your council, and some councils treat this nuisance more seriously than others.

If you can get the scrote's licence plate report him to your council noise abatement officer and see how it goes...

click here

  Forum Editor 18:02 20 Jan 2009

The PRS has had the power to do this for many years, although in the past they tended to concentrate on places like pubs.

  newman35 19:29 20 Jan 2009

I can fully understand if an employer wishes to have piped music from CD or something similar, then performers should get something. In the same way if I wanted to be a disc jockey at a dance I would need to pay performance fees. I appreciate DVDs should not be used for 'public' performance.
But listening to a radio? That's what I cannot get my head round (not literally, of course!) as the fee to use that music has already been paid.
When I listen to my radio outside my house and a neighbour joins me, is that me breaking the PRS rules?
The mind boggles.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017