The Bells, The Bells!

laurie53 08:40 03 Jan 2009

Teachers' union thinks bells are dangerously loud.

click here

I'm not saying they're wrong, but I find it difficult to believe that a normal commercial bell sounded for say 5/10 secs every hour or so is going to cause permanent hearing damage.

Sound levels decrease on a logarithmic scale, so pressure levels at normal ear level from a high mounted bell would be much lower than if measured, say, a couple of feet from the bell.

Bapou 10:33 03 Jan 2009

The school bell never affected my hearing, but, it certainly made me run faster. Late finishing my paper round was no excuse and detention meant I would be late for the evening round.

Happy days!

pcmags 10:34 03 Jan 2009

Pardon, what did you say?

Cymro. 10:40 03 Jan 2009

Is this not just a big fuzz about nothing? All they have to do is just turn the volume down, so problem solved.

Forum Editor 11:27 03 Jan 2009

why schools can't install discreet bleepers in each classroom - they would be less strident, and do the job just as well.

When I was at school we had a bell monitor, and his or her job was to run along the corridor that went from end to end of the school, ringing a handbell. I did it for one term, and it was a pleasure to hand over to someone else - that bell was loud.

Cymro. 12:52 03 Jan 2009

I wonder if they still have bell monitors at schools with all this health and safety business these days. I remember the bell coming of its handle and smashing through a classroom window. Well That was what the pupil concerned says anyway and he got away with it.

Chegs ®™ 13:06 03 Jan 2009

I recall one siren being mounted in the corner of a stairwell,not much of a problem there I hear you say as the siren only sounded occasionally & did warn of fire.The problem was the bell mounted right beside it,had to be loud enough to be heard across several floors so it was loud and despite being regularly vandalised(crisp packets jammed into it)it still made a hell of a racket with a crisp packet in it.I presume it wasnt the only loud bell on the whole campus as the school was large,but I remembered this particular bell as it was just an arms length up the wall in an enclosed area.

spuds 13:17 03 Jan 2009

They will be suggesting next that all the school's have thick carpets and the staff and pupil's all wear slippers.

A few Mosquito devices will soon bring hearing complaints from certain age groups,and no doubt this will lead to Human Rights involvement ;o)

Our local church bells have been fairly silent for years, but I have notice the Call to Prayers is getting rather louder, in some areas of our city. With our local churches it was a bell ringers paradise, but these seem to be a now dying breed. Even the church clock is now silent on the hour.

WhiteTruckMan 13:32 03 Jan 2009

"Our local church bells have been fairly silent for years"

Tell 'em the war is over and the threat of invasion is over.

WTM

bremner 14:24 03 Jan 2009

I am disappointed that you area all using the old outdated word 'school' and not the new more meaningful and relevant to todays world " a place of learning" as you should be. click here

wiz-king 16:48 03 Jan 2009

I doubt that it has a watercliffe or a meadow either! I would have thought that 'seat of learning' would be better but that is too PC, too many connotations of 'the good old days'. Plenty of words to choose from :-
academy, alma mater, college, faculty, institute, lycee although the Afrikaans skool seams most appropriate these days as it fits well with textspeak....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?