Being Green and recycling and all that

jack 09:19 25 Sep 2009

Some of the bureaucracy surrounding this activity is to say the least self defeating.
This is the time of year when shrubs get their end of season clipping and a general tidy of the garden can generate a pile of garden waste.
Councils have their ways of dealing with this - some charge extra by selling special garden waste bags for example.
My council does not it simply picks up what is put out.
Or rather it did.

This morning I had my bin with my normal waste and one black in the bin, and three black sacks beside it- large and voluminous of shrub clipping - but would compress in the bin truck.
They took the bin load- left the sacks and stuck
a notice on the bin [printed in sticky back plastic- hardly green] saying - we cant take it any more - the land fill site are filling up etc.
But those sacks are going to go some where.
Either, I motor[ adding to the CO2 problem]them to the amenity site- where they will go to land fill, or I will [being anti social] dump them im a convenient layby to be picked up by the council to take to land fill.
So why not simply pick em up?

Quickbeam 09:26 25 Sep 2009

If it's a recent decision to reduce the number of bags collected, to 'save money' expect an increase in the number of hedgerow dumpings, which in turn will increase the collection costs... catch 22.

I'm with you, bag it correctly to easily go into the right recycle/disposal location, and take it all.

Monoux 10:35 25 Sep 2009

There is usually an extra charge for the brown bin on top of your Council Tax whereas before it was collected with your other rubbish. Just another way of extracting more money from the long suffering public

peter99co 12:17 25 Sep 2009

I have a Green Bin for general waste, A Brown Bin with a grey lid for paper/cardboard/tins and a Brown Bin with a brown lid for garden waste.

Am I lucky?

The Green Bin has flies buzzing round it because it is only emptied alternate weeks. The other two get emptied on the other weeks by two different trucks.

jack 12:25 25 Sep 2009

I have a Green Bin for general waste, A Brown Bin with a grey lid for paper/cardboard/tins and a Brown Bin with a brown lid for garden waste.

Am I lucky?
If you are not colour blind
;[email protected]

jack 12:32 25 Sep 2009

With essentially an edited version of this post and
CC it to my local councilor

The Edited version said in addition to the main text the fact that being a widower my general waster goes out only fortnightly or longer[Instead of weekly] because a weeks waste for me barely fills a supermarket bag.
And the recycle bin[paper,plastic and metal] goes out once a month or longer[instead of fortnightly]

Already an E-mail from him asking for my phone number.

Grey Goo 12:35 25 Sep 2009

Bromley has temporary Garden waste sites operating at weekends from April to October as well as the permanent sites. Most people are within a couple of miles of these sites and there is no charge. If you want it picked up you require stickers at a pound each. One per bag.

Chegs ®™ 13:07 25 Sep 2009

We have an assortment of bins now,black for general waste,brown for composting material(clippings,etc)black box for paper,green bag for plastic bottles,green bag for cardboard and I have no idea when each is supposed to be put out for collection.

When we first got the 2 wheelie bins,black for general waste & brown for garden waste I recall commenting that the brown bin was a waste of resources.Of those who actually used to mow the lawn/trim hedges a high percentage would surely prefer to keep the material for composting to use on their own garden,and the rest have no use for the bin as they dont bother to mow the lawn/trim hedges.The numbers that dont trim their hedges is high,which you discover easily when out walking the dog & your glasses are swiped off your face by all the overhanging growth.Our council only seem to do anything about overgrown paths when its mentioned in the letters page of the local paper.The junction at the end of my street has a bush to the right that is so large its impossible to see whether anythings approaching when your trying to get out,I wrote a letter to the council about it & many other paths in the area and within days I saw council teams in action clearing all those I had mentioned.(I might also point out that our council featured almost bottom of the league in a "satisfaction survey" and are now considering wasting huge pots of cash by inviting government inspectors to advise them on their failure)

peter99co 13:48 25 Sep 2009

A local council has just changed all the Free Car Parks to Pay and Display to pay for weekly dustbin collections.

The motorists are not happy and the local shops are complaining that business is down as a result.

Another local council has made all it's car parks Free to attract shoppers! What a strange world we live in.

Grey Goo 17:27 25 Sep 2009

We bought a compost bin from the council when they were on a campaign. It provides a home for about a billion ants but they do a great job of munching the vegetation up. I have a garden shredder and this really reduces the volume down and helps start decomposition by opening up the stalks and leaves etc. Some woody shrubs when munched up can be spread directly like wood chippings, soon disappears.

Forum Editor 18:27 25 Sep 2009

Yours is by far the best method - your garden benefits, a billion ants benefit, and the planet benefits.

In fact I'm going to start doing exactly the same thing. How did you come by the ants - or did they come by you?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?