Beer, steam speed - and money

peter99co 13:40 22 Nov 2008

Have you seen Tornado yet?

click here

laurie53 21:23 22 Nov 2008

Nice story. Look forward to finding a video link.

Brumas 22:52 22 Nov 2008

The sight and sound of it warms the cockles of this old train spotter's heart :o))

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:59 22 Nov 2008

click here photos

click here
videos

Brumas 23:37 22 Nov 2008

Now you've gone and done it - I'll be there all night and I was just about to head for bed, thank heavens for bookmarks!

Quickbeam 09:02 23 Nov 2008

driven machinery whether it be rail, road or marine that captures the heart and makes it a living machine... think 'African Queen', Titfield Thunderbolt' & 'The Iron Maiden' films.

Diesel doesn't get anywhere near the same affection.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:35 23 Nov 2008

"Diesel doesn't get anywhere near the same affection."

It does for me as they have provided me with a living for the last 40yrs. :0)

Agree the steam engine is more of a living machine but I don't droll when one appears on shed.

Some Steam Engine photos for the "nostalgic" click here

Forum Editor 12:45 23 Nov 2008

that one of the most evocative sights (and sounds) in the world must have been a big wood-fired engine pulling a train across the American wilderness. To those early settlers it must have been a comforting sight - civilisation arriving in the middle of nowhere.

When you go out into the empty spaces of states like Montana and Nevada you really begin to understand just what a powerful influence steam engines were. The 21st century diesel powered trains that cross America now just don't have the same romance about them, but boy, are they powerful.

peter99co 15:26 23 Nov 2008

What an amazing site of Images.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone