Been there, done that, got the T shirt ISP buy out

Dragon_Heart 01:02 04 Jun 2015

One of the latest ISP takeovers is Tesco Broadband & Homer Phone by Talk Talk.

Just what does this mean to all Ex Tesco customers who used their service., well Tesco Broadband was, in fact, serviced by Cable & Wireless ! That is fairly common for many of these type of services.

Let me tell you of my experience of Sky's takeover of O2 Broadband services. Been with O2 for several years, not the cheapest nor the best but they caused me very little problems.

Then came Big Brother SKY who took over their customer base. Now you will note I said they "took over their customer base" not they "took over the ISP".

Like many PC users my hard drive died, yes I did have back ups of my data but my e-mail back up was a month old. No problem I thought, the 'lost' e-mails should still be on the server, but I had forgot my e-mil password.

Called SKY, "... no we don't have it ... try O2". OK ! So tried O2, who would in the past have sent secure data like passwords etc. by text to my mobile. "No sir, all details were destroyed for security purposes after the take over".

So e-mails for past month lost forever, but not to worry say SKY we will fix you up with SKY e-mail account ... which they did. The only problem is SKY use Yahoo servers for their e-mail service .... and they had been down for several days. :-{

The result of this mess ? I changed to an ISP who OWN and run their own servers. That, of cause, meant I had to cancel my Tesco Home Phone package, my new ISP package covers phone, broadband & line rental, but now Tesco Home Phone are playing silly devils ... but that's another story !

oresome 15:12 04 Jun 2015

I'd start logging your time spent cancelling any contract involving Sky.

It could take many hours as they don't like to let go of customers. A recent ex Sky subscriber successfully billed them for the wasted hours on the phone at the rate of £25 per hour with a final bill of around £1500.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?