The Beeb & Me

gartoye 02:55 06 Jan 2008

This started as a reply to Ste76's post "Is freeview becoming a dead duck?" but turned into a rant at the beeb so I have posted separately

I got a freeview box for christmas following the launch, whenever that was. I didnt buy one myself because I was unhappy with the bbc using my licence fee to create channels I couldnt watch without spending more money on a box, upping that years telly costs by 50%.

It seems to me the beeb is really struggling to bring out fresh stuff to cover all these channels now, I tend to watch tv late because prime time is rubbish imo, its so pc i cant watch it. I switched on the other night & had a choice between fat kids trying to kill animals, bad parents being shown what their lazy kids will look like in their 30's just before they die & some other thing about people who buy dogs but have no idea how to look after them. Oh & they are regularly defrauding phone contestants.

I have never missed a payment on my licence & am disgusted by what I have to pay for by law. To top it all off when I changed banks I discovered I had a £60 credit on my account! Why didnt they offer me a reduced fee one year to balance my account rather than let it build up? It was on direct debit for 5yrs! I reckon its because Capita look after their payments (I think). I dont give money away but cant be bothered to double check all my direct debits, they are supposed to save me time & money!

Now I just listen to radio 4 comedies mostly on the radio or on listen again via the web. I waited for my nasty letter telling me to pay up or give them my new bank details & was going to let it escalate until they got serious then tell to stick their licence, but it actually says "on computers" on the licence so I had to set up d/d again, paying double for the first 6 mths to cover that whole year as obviously I was a bad payer or something. I really identify with people who despise the bbc now, they still put out some great stuff but I struggle to locate it amongst all the other rubbish.

Now I have evidently lost some channels as I didnt rescan my box in time! Give me 4 channels & no remote with a wooden telly, I dont mind getting up if theres going to be something decent on! Rant over!

PS If you want to escalate a complaint with them take your place in the queue, they will ring you when you are out earning your licence fee & close their file as you werent in, dont bother writing as they wont reply.

wiz-king 09:02 06 Jan 2008

Just a few facts.

Your licence fee is to the government and it allows you to watch any licenced channel not just the BBC.

You have a 'general licence' that is given free to you for radio - again for any licenced channel, so you can listen to your hearts content both in your home and car.

The BBC can only respond to complaints about its programs, and I have found them responsive whenever I have complained, but that may be because I have commented in a civil manner and not ranted at them.

Quickbeam 09:35 06 Jan 2008

What we have now is not going to revert to the three quality channels of yesteryear.

However I find that freeview gives me enough of 'thinking' telly.

My viewing habits have changed as well, 20 years ago I was a watch anything addict, now along with not wanting to spend my life developing square eyes, I'm much more discriminating in what I watch.

Freeview combined with a HD recorder for catching the great programs that are on when I'm either at work or silly times of the early morning is a very good combination.

I think that you need to reappraise your opinions of what they were 10/20 years ago... 'times have a changed'.

Forum Editor 09:39 06 Jan 2008

that to a certain extent you are the architect of your own problems. It's irresponsible to say " ...was going to let it escalate until they got serious then tell to stick their licence", and of course you paid the price for being so silly - you lost your right to spread the cost over the year.

There's no reason why the BBC should allow you a discount on the licence fee, and I'm surprised that you feel they should.You may be 'disgusted' by what you have to pay, but that's the law - we all have to do it if we want to watch TV. Saying "Oh & they are regularly defrauding phone contestants." is another silly comment, and is defamatory - do you have any evidence whatsoever that will substantiate your allegation? I doubt it very much.

egapup 10:02 06 Jan 2008

The BBC should be more accountable, paying that idiot Ross £18,000,000 should have been put to a vote.

CatTrading 13:41 06 Jan 2008

i spent 3 years without a tv & never missed a thing.
had the radio & the Net to look at news from.

even got a visit from the tv licencing people who could belive i did not own a tv.
over a mug of tea they soon realised i did not own or want one!

interzone55 14:45 06 Jan 2008

You are not required by law to own a television, get rid of it and save the whole licence fee.

knockin on 18:22 06 Jan 2008

The BBC message board for TV debate-
click here
-has numerous discussions about TV licensing fees. Topics covered are (amongst others):
Am it or aint it werf it?
wood yu get away wiv killin the licensin man wot keeps askin yu two pay it?
Ow can I not av to pay it and still wach telli?
A damn good read IMHO. Incidentally, there is a positive way to, legally, achieve the desire expressed in the last question, as I am sure many of you will know.

Happy Viewing

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:37 06 Jan 2008

Top Gear, Coast, Cranford,Boys from Baghdad High, News, One foot in the Grave, Vicar of Dibley,Never Mind the Buzzcocks, Honour Kills, Elephant Diaries, Extreme Pilgrim, Timewatch, Have I got News for you, The BBC website......and there is nothing on the BBC that interests you...I feel that you are a knitting addict and would be woeful in a topical, ethical, moral or historical debate.

G

ps Costume drama costs about £1m/hour to get on screen....you should not need to do the math.

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:38 06 Jan 2008

ps, again...and all for less than the price of a pint/week. I get the feeling that some people know the cost of everything and the value of nothing. :-((((

G

MCE2K5 19:02 06 Jan 2008

GANDALF <|:-)>, Not forgetting 'Meerkat Manor', Best wildlife program ever.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017