Bedtime reading?

Forum Editor 23:07 16 Oct 2007

Hardly, but if I ran a book club Anne Enright's 'The gathering' would be the book of the month without doubt.

She's just won the Booker prize for it, and deservedly so.

click here

spuds 12:11 17 Oct 2007

I must live a very contented life. When my head hits the pillow at approximately one and two o'clock in the morning, I nearly always fall straight to sleep. Never been one to read a book in bed, in the armchair or on the veranda in the tropics, but never in bed ;o)

Totally-braindead 15:26 17 Oct 2007

Not my sort of book I'm afraid, the description of depressing puts me right off I'm afraid. I'm sure its a good book but not for me.

Pine Man 15:28 17 Oct 2007

...she doesn't look that bad to me ;-)

amonra 15:36 17 Oct 2007

I think I'd have nightmares reading that sort of thing before going to sleep. There's enough bad news in the world without adding to it.

Forum Editor 17:28 17 Oct 2007

but it certainly isn't a cheerful tale, either. It's rather a story about life and death, and once started it's hard to put down.

Not every book has to have the feel-good factor, in my opinion.

youtruth 18:02 17 Oct 2007

spuds, I'm with you.

I prefer to create my own ideas and stories rather than infect my mind with someone else's money making contrived trips.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:06 17 Oct 2007

Never read before going to sleep but weekend mornings I wake at "normal" time and read for an hour or so.

If I have a good book then have to be "nagged" into getting ot of bed.

I agree with FE a good book doesn't have to be all sweetness and light.

Forum Editor 18:19 17 Oct 2007

What a ludicrous statement - surely you're not saying that you never read books? If you are, I feel sorry for you.

youtruth 19:59 17 Oct 2007

I'm more of an immediate hits person with a touch of creativity.

Some used to to write on scrolls, crave in wood or stone walls, even print on newspapers, but these are just some of the olde fashioned forms of media.

To-day we have the internet, tv and radio so while'st someone is trudging through a book I will have managed to blitz on through the informative ether endevouring to find out the real facts or fun.

As a side issue, from the past, I remember a female journalist using the exact same phrase "..surely you're not saying that you never read books? If you are, I feel sorry for you", when someone stated that they had no intention to read books.

Amazing co-incidence or simply a a stock journo replay? The conspirators would surely call it as the same person.

Madness I know.

Totally-braindead 20:07 17 Oct 2007

The only madness on this this Forum is when you post something youtruth. How many usernames have you used now?

Why do you keep changing your name?

Could it be because once the Forum members get used to the rubbish you post they ignore you and you have to create another incarnation so that someone will reply to you?

I suppose you'll post back with another post I cannot understand as usual. Something about poker again perhaps?

Now the FE is a certain female journalist what total and complete drivel.

Shame you don't read but it does explain your typical postings.

This is another example of the complete nonsense you post time after time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone