Because it's there?

Quickbeam 08:48 13 Jan 2015

Granite Wall of Death! Well there's no other reason to climb it is there?

I used to do the 40' Peak District climbs 40 years ago for fun, so I suppose that this is just an extra technical climbing exercise!

Strangely I now have no head for heights at all, I won't even clean the guttering out from a ladder...

john bunyan 10:05 13 Jan 2015

This climb must surely rate with Hillary and Tensing's first Everest summit. Simply amazing.

Quickbeam 11:16 13 Jan 2015

...and the north face of the Eiger that used to take a week to climb, now the modern generation of super climbers do that in under two hours!

bumpkin 13:32 13 Jan 2015

Because it's there?

It would be even more difficult if it was not:-)

BillSers 04:57 14 Jan 2015

Strangely I now have no head for heights at all, I won't even clean the guttering out from a ladder...

I don't know what happened but as a kid I'd take all sorts of height risks. Yet when I went to view a 20 storey high block of apartments yesterday I got vertigo just looking up and couldn't go out on the 5th floor balcony!

Quickbeam 08:29 15 Jan 2015
  iscanut 14:47 15 Jan 2015

Been there and done that. Me too ! After 30 years of Rock climbing , I have now put my ropes away and just do mild scrambles now but I do miss it. Having climbed on Cornish granite and Skye gabbro, I can understand how their hands and nails get badly worn. An amazing feat of patience and determination.

iscanut 19:52 15 Jan 2015

Spider9...if you think that the thousands of us who enjoy mountains and climbing are a bunch of a*eholes and morons then you are a very sad person. Everyone to their own ..what are your interests ? Do you feel the same way as the thousands that try to kick a ball into a net, hit a small white ball into a hole, dive over a line with an odd shaped ball, etc...you could also think the same about all of us who have computer interests and if you do, what are you doing on this site ? It is you who should get a life and be more tolerant of what other people enjoy.

bremner 20:04 15 Jan 2015

I think it is a great achievement and congratulate them for their skill and determination.

BillSers 04:07 16 Jan 2015

Presumably the humorous nature of the link was lost on certain members!!

The English sense of ironic humour wasn't lost on me even though I admire the climbers' achievement.

Quickbeam 08:19 16 Jan 2015

spider9's link proves the old adage, used in the post title, using freedom of speech and a little satire.

Now the usual suspects can steer the thread towards religious, racial and sexual bigotry...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires