The Beatles

crosstrainer 04:48 10 Sep 2009

Back catalogue, and the game...(just had a "special offer xbox thing")

Digitally re-mastered complete set is £200.00 or around that mark.

I have all on vinyl, but am wondering if "Polluted" Beatles music is really worth the money.

As for the game, well...Who would?

If you want to purchase the entire collection of music, and the "I wanna be a Beatle" game..

£550.00

Any takers?

crosstrainer 07:45 10 Sep 2009

I guess having all albums on CD might be nice, but they were recorded and produced in an era when vinyl was the only way of mass producing music. I'm not sure what the new re-mastered stuff will sound like, but I have an idea...Less involving...Particularly for those of us who were around at the start of their careers.

Might create a new generation of fans...which, after the Mercury awards the other night...well can only be a good thing. :))

Incoming:))

JYPX 07:52 10 Sep 2009

For anyone that has a decent hi-fi the remastered albums may well be worth a punt - less than £10 I think in the supermarket. But don't assume you are going to like it. Run For Your Life from Rubber Soul positively leaps out of the speakers in remastered stereo form, but for some who are totally familiar with these songs, this may be "too much information".

crosstrainer 08:00 10 Sep 2009

If they had chosen the vinyl route as opposed to cd, I might have considered it, but would like to hear from anyone who gets the new cd re-mastered stuff.

Some of my albums really have been played to death....The white album, Abbey road, are in need of replacement for sure :))

morddwyd 08:18 10 Sep 2009

The cd route might be OK for the car.

Extraneous noise is likely to cover any untoward changes.

However, I would think for serious listening you should be prepared for a shock!

On the other hand my hf hearing has deteriorated so much since the vinyl era I probably wouldn't notice a difference!

crosstrainer 08:50 10 Sep 2009

Re-mastering (allegedly) Boosts volume, and increases the "Bright" or top end of the musical register.

I have a lot of albums in both format's so have tested the theory, I have a high quality turntable and Hi-Fi system...can honestly say that vinyl is the better of the two formats.

Quickbeam 09:19 10 Sep 2009

I've been listening to them on the radio in the evenings. Ringo's drumming and Harrison's guitare are more prominent... I wonder if Lennon & Macartney deliberately had them produced them like that?

crosstrainer 09:45 10 Sep 2009

It wasn't deliberate....In those day's you had to literally "Mike up" a drum kit.

This was the only way to get the drum sound into a mixing system...Limited options then, And although Lennon and Sir Paul had a say...They did not actually do the sound engineering and producing until much later on.

I had a feeling that what you posted above would be the case...It must change the whole dynamic of the music....If I hear any good reports, I might consider it, but instead, will just replace my worn albums with what I can find in music shops or on the web...!

Quickbeam 12:03 10 Sep 2009

Tune to Absolute Radio tonight at 11:00 You'll get the complete airing of Revolver remastered. I think the bit rate on the Freeview box is much higher than DAB if you want to examine the sound mix quality.

They've done all the previous albums in order, but this for me is the start of their good stuff. The remastering should do Harrison's Rickenbacker sound true justice as this album is one that I think he has much more input and prominence of play in anyway click here

Input Overload 01:26 11 Sep 2009

The problem is that CD's were developed in the late 1970s & sprung upon us in the 80's with promises of perfect sound & discs that will play with jam on?? Or even scratched. But one of the main issues was that CD's that were mastered early on used DAC's (Digital Analogue Converters) were not very advanced and to be honest they sounded awful.

'Brothers In Arms' by Dire Straits was one of the first Cd's released & if played on a half decent Hi-Fi today is thin sounding and bright with little bass.

This album was remastered a while ago using better gear & advanced DAC's which improved the sound.
But I agree with a recent quote from 'What Hi-Fi' to the effect of if you want the realism & timing of the original band/singer no digital medium is going to get it you.
I have a CD player that's well over £700 & a £150 'Project' record deck I have trounces it for timing and foot tapping melody, sad but very true. I have some records recorded in the 1950s that used Valve amps etc that are better than many 21st century recordings.

crosstrainer 08:47 11 Sep 2009

Valve amps are still the best...That's why us guitarist use them. I have a Fender custom lead amp (Valve powered) And an Evolution Bass amp (New) Also valve powered....You just can't get that from the transistor stuff.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone