Be careful what you say online

Al94 08:59 18 Jan 2010

OK, it was unwise to make a joke of this kind but he never saw this coming! click here

interzone55 10:33 18 Jan 2010

The guy is clearly an idiot not to realise the kind of trouble that would lead to.

On another point, why is Robin Hood Airport in Doncaster, surely East Midlands airport is closer to Robin Hood territory...

Matt Egan 10:50 18 Jan 2010

Bonkers eh! And you thought FE's justice was tough. click here

And the Robin Hood thing is weird. By all accounts Robin Hood was more than likely from the Doncaster area, but naming your airport in such a way smacks of an inferiority complex. Nottingham got RH: accept it!

michaelw 12:34 18 Jan 2010

Just a mite silly. It's to deter wallies from making comments like this. Even if someone says the word bomb in jest anywhere now they'll set the wheels of law enforcement into motion.

Al94 12:41 18 Jan 2010

You just did!

Legolas 13:15 18 Jan 2010

From the article in the link: "The civil libertarian Tessa Mayes, an expert on privacy law and free speech issues, said: "Making jokes about terrorism is considered a thought crime, mistakenly seen as a real act of harm or intention to commit harm."

I remember reading 1984 and thinking how far fetched the 'thought police' were......seems not.

natdoor 17:27 18 Jan 2010

Does anyone think that someone with serious intentions would warn his potential victim on Twitter, whatver that is?

Chegs ®™ 16:53 20 Jan 2010

Mr Chambers said the police seemed unable to comprehend the intended humour in his online comment. "I had to explain Twitter to them in its entirety because they'd never heard of it," he said.

Plod had never heard of Twitter? If this is true,then why arrest him?Seems to be yet more of the Police "acting on information received" without applying a little common-sense first.

interzone55 17:22 20 Jan 2010

I refer you to the comment from fourm member of 18/01/10 @ 14:21

"How would people react if the police said 'We were aware of the threats but it was only Twitter so we treated it as a joke'?"

Forum Editor 18:43 20 Jan 2010

The Police are in that classic situation of being damned if they do, and damned if they don't. In those circumstances the right decision is to fail safe, and that's exactly what has happened.

DANZIG 00:57 22 Jan 2010

A guy I worked with had a really bad night at work - being a young bloke and after having drunk a bit too much, he got home, logged on to Facebook and put 'I'm going to bomb (company name).'

Nearly lost his job, got a final written warning. He'll never do that again!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache