BBC1 HD channel changes

muddypaws 11:44 22 Oct 2010
Answered

From 3/11.
click here

Covergirl 13:03 22 Oct 2010

Quote:
"You’ll find the new channel – which will be a simultaneous broadcast of the main BBC One – at Freeview channel 50, Freesat 108, Sky channel 143 and Virgin Media channel 108.

The exisiting BBC HD channel will move to Freeview channel 54, Freesat 109, Sky channel 169, and Virgin Media channel 187."

I didn't know Freeview had an existing BBC HD Channel or I would have been watching it.

Would this existing BBC HD channel be regional ? i.e. would we not be able to get it from Caldbeck (in Cumbria)?

Whatever . . . . . Roll on HD on Freeview on any channel - I think the standard DTV quality is actually getting worse.

Covergirl 13:05 22 Oct 2010

. . . maybe it's down to my Panasonic Viera which is nearly 3 years old and probably can't decode the HD signal.

I will enquire.

961 13:20 22 Oct 2010

I fear that's the reason

HD on Freeview requires a second freeview tuner which would not be in a 3 year old set

All Borders region transmitters (even the relays) should get the HD channel

One way round is to buy a new freeview box, ensuring it has both decoders. You don't need to pay the earth for it

Covergirl 15:43 22 Oct 2010

Got a 5 year g'tee on the Viera so no chance of getting another anytime soon I reckon.

Cheers

dms_05 10:38 23 Oct 2010

Freeview HD STB's are expensive. It's almost worth waiting until they reduce in price or spend the extra and buy a Freeview HD PVR. None are a cheap alternative. However in the longer term HDTV's with HD tuners are appearing - I saw one in Dixons (sorry Currys) for under £500 (37" full 192081080 HD and HD tuner) however Freeview HD isn't 1920 but 1440 so the full resolution will only be available if you subscribe to Sky/Virgin.

woody 12:35 23 Oct 2010

I have the hd plus box from virgin with a philips 1080i but the hd channels do not look any different to standard.Over all the picture is great.
Do you notice much diff between standard and hd?

muddypaws 12:52 23 Oct 2010

I just have a Bush Freesat HD box and although there is a lot of criticism of them mine has been excellent for two years and I can see a clear difference between SD & HD on a Philips flat screen.

961 14:36 23 Oct 2010
Answer

Two factors to take into account

BBC High Def is nowhere near as good as it used to be since the standard of transmission has been reduced because of bandwidth restrictions on the freeview system

Also, many high quality tv sets can automatically up-scale standard definition transmissions to produce a picture similar to high def transmissions

It follows from this that a Viera set such as covergirl has may well produce just as good a picture as would be obtained from a high def tuner

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?