The BBC Trust speaks out

TopCat® 13:32 21 Nov 2008

Gives their verdict on the Ross/Brand furore. TC.

click here

The Brigadier 13:41 21 Nov 2008

Interesting, but could this still happen again?

Chris the Ancient 17:39 21 Nov 2008

My local station (BBC Bristol) recently 'sacked' a radio presenter on the grounds that she had made a racial comment off air. The only person who heard it was on the other end of a telephone line. And the comment could _almost_ be considered to be slightly jocular.

There was no appeal or anything. She was immediately suspended and, effectively, dismissed on the spot (I'm not sure if she was staff or contract).

Yet the pair of Ross and Brand were openly abusive and foul 'on air' and, in effect, were given a 'smacked wrist'. The fact that people resigned was a voluntary thing rather than a disciplinary action.

Why the difference in treatment? Is it a case of a national name v a local name?

So, as I said at the top...

One rule for one and one for another?

CtA

peter99co 18:33 21 Nov 2008

If programmes need to use offensive language it must be approved before transmission!

Is approved offensive language not offensive?

bluto1 19:44 21 Nov 2008

Just before the I'm a Celebrity.... programme on Chan 4 last night a female announcer quite blithely announced that there would be bad language heard. The show started at 8 PM.
The masters of our TV don't give a hoot about a 9PM watershed or us. They're only interested in what titillates their own senses.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How secure is your Wi-Fi?

AMD vs Intel: we put the most powerful desktops for designers and artists head-to-head

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017