BBC are making quit a few opoligies lately

Noldi 11:11 07 Feb 2011

Or are people getting to sensitive.

I do not watch this QI and Top Gear seem to be doing it to keep a past its sell buy date program in the lime light.

click here

click here

Noldi

Forum Editor 11:40 07 Feb 2011

one in which information flashes around the planet in minutes, and TV programmes made here are sold and seen in dozens of countries.

Years ago,people in Japan and Mexico would have been oblivious if someone made a disparaging remark on a British TV programme, because the BBC didn't have a vast international marketing operation. That has changed, and with it comes a new set of responsibilities - people in other nations are understandably sensitive about disparaging references, and programme makers should have the wit to understand that.

I have absolutely no sympathy for the Top Gear presenters - they make a habit of getting a laugh at other peoples' expense, and it's time they grew up.

Stephen Fry is somewhat different - he's not known for insensitivity. I watched the transmission in question, and I have to say I think the Japanese have overreacted to what was said. I'm not Japanese however, and I might have felt differently if I was.

interzone55 12:24 07 Feb 2011

I think on the whole people have become far too sensitive.

There was a story in the Telegraph on Friday about a Mexican woman suing the BBC for defamation. No that's not being offended, it's seeing a way to make a fast buck...

spuds 13:11 07 Feb 2011

I think they may have started when the pub jokes of the Englishman, Irishman, Scotsman and Welshman were banned.

Oops forgot and apologies, we are not allowed to state English now, its European?.

Looking at Top Gear last night, it looks like Jonathan Ross might be getting back into routine?.

Legolas 13:23 07 Feb 2011

"are people getting to sensitive"

Yes of course they are. It seems these days that people think no one should say or do anything to offend them, well I'm afraid being offended is a part of life and a part of growing up. If all that people have to worry them is someone saying something that might offend them then they want to get a life and stop being so introspective, there is too many people starving and dying through disease and neglect to let something as stupid as this cause anyone a moments thought. And if this post offends anyone then learn to deal with it, if a little offense in your life is all you have to deal with you will be a very fortunate person.

Ah that's better

jakimo 13:57 07 Feb 2011

We are still waiting for an apology from Japan for its wartime atrocities
they will always have a stain on there reputation because of their brutal wartime record.

Scillonia 14:13 07 Feb 2011

One apology missing is one for allowing Clarkson on our TVs in the first place. He is well past his sell by date.

Forum Editor 14:31 07 Feb 2011

should have asked to be the 'star in a reasonably priced car' to show that Mexicans are not the way people believe them to be."

Surely the Mexican ambassador shouldn't have to anything should he? If a disparaging and rather childish remark hadn't been made about him there wouldn't be a problem.

It's no good looking for excuses after the event, and expecting the butt of a remark to participate in making it all OK.

It was Richard Hammond - the most juvenile of a juvenile threesome - who said " "Mexican cars are just going to be lazy, feckless, flatulent, overweight, leaning against a fence asleep looking at a cactus with a blanket with a hole in the middle on as a coat." Someone else went on to describe Mexican food as "refried sick".

I venture to suggest that a few true blue Brits might be a tad irritated if a Mexican TV presenter made similar comments about us.

A joke "at the expense of of people who assume that stereotypes are true"? That's certainly one view - it wasn't the view of hundreds of Mexicans who phoned the BBC, or the Ambassador, or the all party group of MPs who called the remarks "ignorant, derogatory and racist".

The truth is, Clarkson and co believe that they're bomb-proof, and that their schoolboy humour is shared by most people. That it's shared by many is obvious, but that doesn't mean it's universally acceptable - it plainly isn't. Jeremey Clarkson is a bombastic individual who has cultivated a 'I say what I like and I like what I say' persona which he thinks is just the ticket. He seems oblivious to the feelings of others, and his two sycophantic side kicks wander along in his wake, laughing when the king laughs, and pandering to his ego.

Can you tell I'm not a fan?

john bunyan 14:42 07 Feb 2011

I fully agree. Clarkson and his fellow "petrol heads" are like a bunch of old fashioned public schoolboys with their childish "humour". Also their obsession with cars hardly anyone can afford, and their destructiveness (crashing and trashing cars and caravans)is very irritating. A pity as I like Clarkson's amusing column in the Sunday Times (not the motoring one, where again he shows a xenophobic tendency).An intelligent man who needs to grow up.

jakimo 14:53 07 Feb 2011

The QI programme about the the train service after the Abomb was no more than banter, the main issue was that they could still run a train service after so much devastation (unlike us who cant run a train service after a a snowfall).
------------------------------

As for Clarkson,Birmingham is still waiting for an apology,and is referred to as 'Motormouth' by the Birmingham Media

interzone55 15:27 07 Feb 2011

What's Clarkson said about Birmingham?

I'll wager it's not as bad as Mike Harding's comment from the 80's

"Birmingham, they should put ropes & red lamps round it with a sign saying "Danger! Hole in the World""

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?