BBC

laurie53 10:04 14 Jul 2007

Do you trust the BBC as much as you did this time last year?

egapup 10:09 14 Jul 2007

Never have trusted them that much.

Al94 10:25 14 Jul 2007

I would take as much now with a pinch of salt as I did a year ago

Quickbeam 10:26 14 Jul 2007

I trust them as much as I always have... but that doesn't mean I trust them implicitly, just more than newspapers that push their own agenda first.

laurie53 11:11 14 Jul 2007

Never trusted them much myself, any more than any other news outlet, and less than some.

My post was simply prompted by the fact that if they'll try to deceive children, and manipulate the Royal Family for ratings, have they gone down even further in your estimation?

MichelleC 11:16 14 Jul 2007

They get an awful lot of things right as opposed to just a few things wrong. It's a big corporation, and like any vast company, they sometimes cock things up. They haven't lost my trust.

spuds 11:21 14 Jul 2007

At least they are looking into the fact of excessive high fees being negotiated with some of their presenters. That in itself must suggest that someone is trying to improved the public image and outlook of the corporation.

Forum Editor 11:23 14 Jul 2007

and they will tell you that the BBC is widely respected in the industry for its integrity and professionalism. Worldwide the BBC is held in very high esteem, and anyone who, like egapup, says "Never have trusted them that much." would do well to travel the world and listen to/watch other countries' broadcasting services. You would come back realising how lucky we are to have a national broadcaster that consistently puts out such high-quality content.

The problem, as eloquently expressed by Michael Grade in a radio interview last week, is that nowadays young programme-makers often don't have the integrity that pervaded the BBC in the past - they take shortcuts in pursuit of ratings, and some of them readily break the absolute golden rule of broadcasting: "Never, ever lie to your audience".

This is the fault of senior BBC executives, who take young people from university, and fail to train them properly. The newer broadcasters are sometimes given too much power, too soon, and they aren't capable of making the value judgments required of them. It's an industry problem, and unless it's tackled there will be more of the errors of judgment like the recent events which no doubt prompted your thread. TV journalism, like newspaper journalism will only receive the respect of its audience if it aspires to the very highest standards of integrity, and unfortunately today's highly competitive market puts enormous commercial pressures on people who are often ill-equipped to deal them.

wee eddie 11:26 14 Jul 2007

but with reservations.

Their standard of reportage is usually less slanted than most of the Red Tops and many of the Broad Sheets. More balanced than CNN.

Cymro. 11:30 14 Jul 2007

Love them or loathe them but I still think the BBC are the most trustworthy of all such media in this country and probably the rest of the world too.

So they make mistakes from time to time as do all such organizations, but they are still a lot more impartial than anything Fleet Street can provide. The BBC may be the best of a very bad bunch but they still are the best.

Kate B 11:42 14 Jul 2007

Very good point from Peter about training. It's a constant refrain that media organisations are taking on young people and not training them properly, and we old hands constantly mutter and fret about declining standards. It's actually quite a relief that it's finally being taken on board.

And yes, I trust the BBC. It's not perfect and it's not always to my taste, but it's still a fantastic news operation.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?