Barry George cleared of Jill Dando murder!!

charmingman 17:52 01 Aug 2008

Another case thats folded & another inocent person goes to jail & has his life ruined...

click here

Forum Editor 18:31 01 Aug 2008

Someone killed her on her own doorstep in broad daylight, and that someone is walking free. Who it is nobody (except the murderer) knows.

The Police investigation into Jill's murder was a long one, and I'm not commenting on the evidence or the subsequent trial and conviction of Barry George. Justice has been done, and seen to be done as far as he's concerned.

Bingalau 18:52 01 Aug 2008

Good job they never brought back hanging I suppose. But why are so many of these people convicted and then found not guilty later? It never used to happen so often and I often wonder if it that we have too many of these slick lawyers about.

Forum Editor 19:03 01 Aug 2008

If you were languishing in prison for something you didn't do, you might give your right arm for a slick lawyer.

Why are people convicted and later on found not guilty? Often it's because some new evidence has come to light, or possibly some evidence that was relied upon at the original trial is later found to be unreliable. Advances in forensic science mean that evidence may come to light years after a conviction, and make that conviction unsafe.

A system like ours means that sometimes innocent people are convicted, and sometimes guilty people walk free - it's inevitable. Our hope should be that in the end we get it right far more often than we get it wrong, and as time goes on the chances of mistakes with forensic evidence should decrease. What we can't deal with in terms of science is the way that juries reach their decisions - you can't quantify human nature in a computer.

oresome 19:18 01 Aug 2008

As I recall, there was little evidence to connect the accused with the murder in the first trial apart from microscopic gunpowder residue.

This evidence was deemed unreliable and was not admissable in the second trial.

There seems to have been a few wrong convictions recently involving people of below average intelligence. Are they seen as a soft target by the police?

GANDALF <|:-)> 22:05 01 Aug 2008

More sterling work by our wonderful police force. Good job the 'hang 'em high' acolytes have not had their warped way.

G

Pesala 00:08 02 Aug 2008

I don't think justice has been done yet. In the case of an innocent man being wrongly charged and wrongly convicted, not only does he deserve compensation for those lost years, but in some cases (though not necessrily in this case), those pressing the charges with insufficient evidence may also need to be brought to book.

When I read about cases like this, or that of Krishna Maharaj, I cannot help but think that someone was determined to get a conviction at any cost.

The Jill Dando murder got a disproportionate amount of publicity because of who she was, and the media pressure to find her murderer may have led to mistakes being made.

John B 00:49 02 Aug 2008

Pesala

Without a doubt, compensation will be paid.

Forum Editor 10:33 02 Aug 2008

Understandably, the police were under a great deal of pressure in this case - Jill Dando had worked with officers for years, and was very popular in police circles - she understood some of the enormous difficulties they face in trying to do their job in an increasingly complex legislative atmosphere - almost everyone they arrest comes complete with a compensation mentality.

When contemplating mistakes made by the police, and by the Crown Prosecution Service it's an idea to do so against the background of thousands of successful prosecutions - cases that aren't as high profile, but which nevertheless have an equally large impact on the lives of the immediate families of those involved. Of course there are police officers who are hungry for results, and of course errors of judgment are made - it would be pretty strange if that didn't happen. Police officers are people too, and sometimes I wonder if our expectations aren't pitched a little too high.

It's so easy to sit back and make glib remarks about the ineptitude of the police, but frankly you need to be on the other end of the equation to know what it's like to be a police officer on the streets. Most of us spend our lives without ever coming into contact with the kind of people the police encounter on a daily basis - we get our impression of the police from TV and from the newspapers.

Being sent to prison for something you didn't do must cause extreme mental anguish - I can't begin to understand how depressing it must be, and society must undoubtedly compensate such people in some way. Lost years cannot be replaced, but at the very least we can make some kind of financial recompense.

Thank goodness we have a system that enables such miscarriages of justice to be partially rectified; the same cannot be said by many other countries in the world today.

Legolas 12:27 02 Aug 2008

Reports are saying he could be in line for a payout anywhere between £500,000 and 1 million although that is pure media speculation.

I remember when the Guildford four won their compensation they were deducted from that compensation money for bed and board for the time they spent in prison.

Surely if the state has made a mistake in imprisoning someone then asking them to pay for the time they wrongly spent in prison is adding insult to injury.

day2strike 15:20 02 Aug 2008

Doubt they will get anyone for this murder.
Cold cases like this cost £££ to re-open even more so with the time since the murder.
Sadly it seems the evidence was flawed.

Will Barry George now be able to sue the Met?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?