Barristers -refuse £91-145 per hpur

jack 14:07 11 Sep 2008

Says the news
Is this another half story- surely it cannot mean
those sums straight into an individual pocket--can it?
Is it not for the work - ie the team/back office.

Clarification in matters like this would perhaps calm thins down a little.

Like other hour rates it is not the workers pay - but the cost of running a business and providing the wherewithal to do the job.

Clapton is God 14:11 11 Sep 2008

"Clarification in matters like this would perhaps calm thins down a little"

I think that a link would be useful and some "clarification" about exactly what your point is.

Marko797 14:40 11 Sep 2008

can't coment without a link, except to say a senior solicitor charges c. £140 per hour, and barristers are more expensive.

ventanas 14:41 11 Sep 2008

I think what is being said is that barristers are refusing to work for these rates, and quite rightly so. As jack says they will need to pay rent, rates, staff and many other outgoings out of their fees, and these figures quoted, if true (I haven't seen any article) are quite simply a joke.

Cymro. 15:03 11 Sep 2008

click here
This must be the story that jack is referring to.

newman35 15:20 11 Sep 2008

This type of 'story' makes good copy at times like this, we are in recession, Gov are asking for restraint in wages, and a story purporting to be about greedy lawyers emerges!
Perhaps some estate agents will be refusing to work, next, then we could REALLY get upset!

birdface 15:29 11 Sep 2008

£100 to yank out my tooth about 5 years ago.So I can see why Barristers want more money.

Marko797 15:29 11 Sep 2008

I suspect alot of estate agents aren't working at the moment, although I have no sympathy with them.

As a knock on, some law firms are also closing down/making redundancies within conveyancing departments.

Domino effect of the credit crisis.

Forum Editor 15:44 11 Sep 2008

being charged by some car dealers might put this story into perspective. The average rate in London is now £94 an hour, and at least one dealer is charging almost £200 an hour.

The national average hourly rate is now £75 an hour.

Picklefactory 16:18 11 Sep 2008

Any idea where they get those averages from? I would hazard a guess that it gets hiked up by the small percentage of the country who earn ridiculously high salaries. Surely the vast majority of workers are earning a drastically lower hourly wage than that.

Picklefactory 16:27 11 Sep 2008

click here
Although being a bit dated (2006) shows national average at just £12.50

Also the government puts average earnings at around £450 per week.

Am I missing something? (I usually do)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?