Baggage allowances

exdragon 09:44 21 Jan 2011

Bearing in mind that between PCA forum members, almost every question under the sun can be answered, can anyone help with this one:

On a flight to Australia, the baggage allowance is 30kg, but the final leg is a 90 minute domestic flight with a different carrier whose allowance is 23kg - this carrier will be the first flight on the return trip.

The question is, what happens when we take the final/first flight with baggage which may be over 23kg? I've emailed the travel agent, but in the meantime, I'm sure someone on here will know!

Thanks.

Blackhat 09:58 21 Jan 2011

Probably just a surcharge, last time I was over the allowance it cost me about £15.

uk-wizard 10:01 21 Jan 2011

Many shekels may have to change hands or shanks's pony invoked - don't really know.

johndrew 10:17 21 Jan 2011

I had a similar conflict in Nepal. International baggage limit 30kg, internal 20kg. You will (almost certainly) be charged for the 7kg on the final (internal) leg and similarly on the way back.

One possible way around it is to speak with your international carrier who may speak with your internal carrier and either get them to waive the charge or reduce it - works better if it is the same carrier. This could be done through your travel agent if you are using one.

exdragon 11:18 21 Jan 2011

The main flight is with Emirates, while the short one is with Virgin Blue, which I believe has some sort of connection with Emirates

Noldi 12:00 21 Jan 2011

click here

This may be of interest to you,

I know my Sister paid upfront when she went to OZ, But don’t ask me how much cant remember.

Noldi

JYPX 12:08 21 Jan 2011

Have no idea if this helps but I can quote an example of an Emirates surcharge from a few weeks ago. Manchester to Dubai. Dubai to Manilla. From memory, the bag was about 6kg over, maybe a bit more. Surcharge was £250.

spuds 12:15 21 Jan 2011

Don't know how it works out nowadays, but in my travelling days, some airlines turned a blind eye when others demanded the extra fees. Ask your travel agent to confirm, and hold them to it.

One of the worse experiences was in Singapore, when BOAC (now BA) became very obstructive, that was until I caused a real right scene at the booking-in desk. Even Wingco (BOAC airport manager) was unable to translate his company policy, and eventually submitted to my claim.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:04 21 Jan 2011

Take 7kg of clothes out of your suitcase and wear them for the final leg of the journey.

They don't charge extra for "fat passengers"

:p)

namtas 15:29 21 Jan 2011

Found this last year on trip to Australia travelling via Hong Kong, in my opinion the safest option is to take the lowest allowance. BA economy plus for instance has a generous allowance of two suitcases each but change to Quantas (BA's partner) who have a lower allowance and only one suitcase per person and you will are surcharged. it cost our friends around an extra £400. It is a crazy situation especial when you are booking a round trip with one company but who share Airlines.

spuds 15:34 21 Jan 2011

Perhaps going on a suggestion similar in reducing weight to Fruit Bat /\0/\ idea.

But would you consider that ill fitting clothes might bring body searches!.

Many a time when wanting to travel lighter, I use to give people like chamber maids excess baggage items, for their family and kids to use or barter. Cheaper to give away to a good cause, than dump or pay excess baggage.

I did that once in Borneo, and then reaching Hong Kong it was very cold, so I had to buy replacements. I lost on that deal :O)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?