Baffled by postal charges (5)

bumpkin 15:43 14 Jul 2014

I bought something on line and was charged £3.20 p&p 1st class Royal Mail. Now I need to return it as it is faulty. According to what I can find on the net this will cost £23. The item weighs 5.6kgs. Neither of these prices seem sensible, how can the same item be £3.20 one day and £23 a few days later.

Woolwell 15:56 14 Jul 2014

There are totally different prices for businesses. If you look on the business page of Royal Mail you will find the £3.20.

bumpkin 16:12 14 Jul 2014

Thanks for the explanations.

MechKB, on your recommendation I tried Parcel Monkey a few weeks back and was impressed with their efficiency and reasonable charges so I will use them. I would expect it to be about £10.

spuds 17:01 14 Jul 2014

The Post Office are advertising their Drop & Go special mail service for businesses and internet sellers. Perhaps that might help,and possibly worth looking into? click here

spuds 18:33 14 Jul 2014

MechKB 2

I have regular daily deliveries via what is classed as Royal Mail 48 hour service (but can take upto 6 days?), and going on the price Royal Mail seem to advertise, I don't know how some of the sellers make a profit if at all, but I suppose they must do via a bulk special arrangement with Royal Mail. The item appears less value than the postage rate. TNT also seem to have a big stake in this market.

The same applies to the likes of Toolstation, Screwfix, Ebuyer and similar companies who offer free delivery over a certain value amount. A typical example is ordering £10.00 of goods from Toolstation and they throw in free next day delivery. Anything below £10.00 and you have to pay £5.00 for next day delivery?.

Getting goods from Hong Kong and China is even a bigger mystery regarding air freight charges, especially purchases via eBay. I buy quite a number of things from there, because of the very low prices compared to UK prices, for possibly the same item. The only problem is the upto 21 day wait on some occasions. Usually I get goods within 7/14 days.

spuds 18:38 14 Jul 2014

bumpkin

I notice that you say you are having to return the item because it is faulty.?

Perhaps worth checking if you have any rights under the Distance Selling Regulations (DSR), and whether the seller offers pre-paid stickers for returns, assuming that you had not purchased from an individual person?.

bumpkin 18:57 14 Jul 2014

Thanks Spuds, I have not looked into that yet as I didn't mind what I thought would be £3.20. Will contact the seller again.

bumpkin 19:08 14 Jul 2014

Not exactly relative to my OP but I wonder how small sellers on Ebay deal with returns. Reasonable ones will give a refund or replacement which is fine so what do they then do with the faulty one. The item I received advertised as new in original packaging had clearly been opened. It appeared brand new but was impossible to assemble, makes me wonder if it had been returned before for the same reason.

cruiser2 09:20 15 Jul 2014

Bought a paint spray unit in April at a good price from a TV shopping channel. Did not use it until the end of June. Could not get it ot work like it was shown on the TV demonstration. So sent it back with a covering letter. This was picked up by Hermes, one of the courier firms with no charge. Have now had an email to say I will get a refund for the full amount even though the item was not returned within 14 days of purchase. So one firm will bend the rules. Regarding Royal Mail, I always check with my local Post Office for large items.

mbc 14:58 15 Jul 2014

If goods are faulty, DSR is not the avenue to use. Return the stuff under the Sale of Goods Act, which covers faults, The DSR allows you to return goods if for any reason you do not want them, such as changing your mind. It is meant to cover the fact that you are not able to inspect the goods before purchase.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?