Bad parenting

Si_L 18:01 04 Oct 2008

I was on my way into town today, and just on the outskirts I popped into Londis, and on my way in saw a mother telling her kid, who looked no more than 6, to "keep an eye on the pram," and she left him outside. As I walked in, to my horror found the baby was in the pram! The baby was being looked after by the kid outside the shop on the outskirts of a very busy town while their mum bought cigarettes!

I went in and told her how stupid this was but it is apparently "none of my business!"

Forum Editor 18:30 04 Oct 2008

it was none of your business. I hate to sound a discordant note, but you interfered in something that didn't concern you, and lots of people would have reacted as this mother did.

Si_L 18:37 04 Oct 2008

This is by no means the safest town around, and leaving your two kids outside, one of which is a baby, is the most stupid thing I hadn't seen. Sorry that you feel differently, but my conscience would have got to me if I hadn't of spoken up.

Forum Editor 18:48 04 Oct 2008

I also think it was probably an unwise thing for a mother to do, but that's different. It's one thing to disapprove of a parent's attitude to child care, but it's another thing altogether to interfere as you did.

If we all spoke our minds to complete strangers about the way they dealt with their own children the streets would be full of fighting people. It's the one area which is guaranteed to be sensitive - you criticise someone's parenting at your peril.

Legolas 19:14 04 Oct 2008

FE and Si_L I find myself agreeing with both of you. I think it was wrong to leave a baby in the charge of a young kid, but as the FE says not really any of your business.

What I would have done if concerned was wait at a safe distance till the parent had reappeared.

Si_L 20:00 04 Oct 2008

Maybe in hindsight it was a bit rash, but I couldn't believe what I was seeing! The shop was quite crowded, and the counter is round the side of the door, they is no way you can use it and keep an eye outside.

GRIDD 22:05 04 Oct 2008

Hardly the end of the world. The 6 yr old was beside the pram and the mother just inside the shop. If someone tried to take the baby the mother would have been alerted, as would the shop full of people, instantly.

Not that I've left my 6yr old in charge of our baby (or left my kids unattended like that) she is very caring and protective of her sister. With that in mind don't doubt the mother knew whole heartedly she could trust her 6yr old not to hurt the baby.

Si_L 22:11 04 Oct 2008

"With that in mind don't doubt the mother knew whole heartedly she could trust her 6yr old not to hurt the baby."

Not exactly the scenario I was thinking off. I was thinking along the lines of someone taking the baby and the kid, if it was done quickly then there is nothing she could have done, she was a good 20 paces from the pram.

GRIDD 22:16 04 Oct 2008

What's the odds of a random double kidnap like that?

Besides would the 6 yr old go quietly?

Answers: Nil and No. (in my opinion)

Si_L 22:55 04 Oct 2008

Low, but certainly possible, and thats why I think most people would agree that its a stupid thing to do.

Si_L 22:55 04 Oct 2008

Low, but certainly possible, and thats why I think most people would agree that its a stupid thing to do.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017