Bad Law

S5W 19:08 27 Dec 2008

I own and enjoy the company of two small longhaired dogs, they are bathed and clipped every six weeks and I groom them once a week. I am consequently a serial law breaker 6 days a week according to a clause in a recent 26 page new law, one clause of which states that "all longhaired dogs must be groomed daily". This is bad law because it is utterly unenforceable and brings into disrepute the law generally. It is also a stupid law.
This law was drafted by nincompoops, signed off by a panjandrum (something called Balls apparently which just about sums up the whole affair) and passed into law by dozens of brainless lobby fodder self serving robots known as MPs.
I have written to my own lobby fodder chap to ask him to get the law modified but I'm not holding my breath as this is just the latest in a long sorry line of bad laws passed by ignoramuses who would be better employed as lavatory cleaners.

On a more seasonal note may I wish you all a very Happy and Prosperous New Year. Nil carborundum etc., etc.

anskyber 19:12 27 Dec 2008

I suggest you take more water with it.

S5W 19:19 27 Dec 2008

I am teetotal.

Clapton is God 19:48 27 Dec 2008

A link to this law would be useful so that we may verify the veracity of your rant for ourselves

tullie 21:25 27 Dec 2008

Theres one born every minute.

spuds 21:32 27 Dec 2008

The Animal Welfare Act 2006 is more than adequate in its present form. This 'consultation' paper is nothing more than a 'teaching' article for possible irresponsible animal owners, who in all eventualities would ignore the article or animal welfare anyway.

The person or team of people who came up with this paper, must have got the idea from a library book, possibly called Your First Pet or Animal. Pity Defra cannot find better things to do, than spend public money on an unnecessary document.

Forum Editor 22:16 27 Dec 2008

and calling people 'ignoramuses who would be better employed as lavatory cleaners' worth checking that what you're ranting about is actually a part of an existing, or about to become one....this is neither of those things, so your letter to your "lobby fodder chap" is going to make you look a tad daft.

Quickbeam 09:18 28 Dec 2008

You'll like this equally 'written in a hurry piece' too then click here Nothing like a 'shock & horror' story for non-news days...

Forum Editor 09:33 28 Dec 2008

can certainly contain measures required by law, but usually it will consist of a set of guidelines to be followed by members of a profession, or a group of people with a common occupation.

In employment, for instance, codes of practice are not usually binding in law, but they may be referred to in Industrial tribunal hearings.

The chances of you being prosecuted for not grooming a long-haired dog on a daily basis are so remote as to make them not worth a moment's concern.

laurie53 10:42 28 Dec 2008

"the sort of people who don't look after pets properly are the ones who need things spelt out for them in great detail."

The sort of people who don't look after pets properly are also the sort of people who will not read any great detail.

Like the cat owners near us who both go out to work. The cat goes out when they go to work in the morning, is let in and fed when they come home at night, is put out again at night, and is let in and fed before they go to work the next day.

The cat is well fed and clean, but why have a pet?

She sometimes appears on our windowsill and I must confess we do let her in sometimes for a warm and a snooze on the armchair, but we really shouldn't.

That cat's life will not be improved one iota by all the codes of practice in the world.

johndrew 10:49 28 Dec 2008

But I thought it was well known that you can own a dog, but a cat owns you!!!! ;-)

Having said that I agree with your sentiment. If you have any animal as a pet it is for the whole day not when it suits you. Going out to work and leaving them to either roam or wait in a locked house is not exactly a good practice regardless of how well you treat them when you are there.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?