Back ups are important

jimv7 18:18 22 Mar 2007

Found this

click here

Forum Editor 18:42 22 Mar 2007

and to me the more so because of the quietly efficient way in which the Alaskan Revenue department got on with putting things right. I'm quite sure there must have been a degree of panic at the beginning, but they seem to have adopted the right attitude, which is that solving the problem, and ensuring that it can't happen again, is more important than pinning the blame on someone.

I can't help wondering how the UK government department might have reacted in a similar circumstance.

Mr Mistoffelees 19:18 22 Mar 2007

One thing I am reasonably confident of, there would have been a witch-hunt.

VoG II 20:19 22 Mar 2007

At work a couple of years ago we suffered a 'catastrophic' loss of e-mails. I can't remember the exact sequence of events but as I recall there was a power cut, the e-mail backup system failed to restart and it then turned out that our 'general' tape backup had mysteriously become inactive. As a result we lost about 10 days worth of e-mails - which in my case was a lot.

There was no panic - just a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth from the users.

I just e-mailed my entire address book asking them to resend everything sent during the affected period but only if it was important. I think that I received less than half a dozen resent messages.

WhiteTruckMan 22:19 22 Mar 2007

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone