Back to the Top

laurie53 09:08 30 Jul 2007

A totally useless thread, with no social implications at all, but how often do you use the "Back to the Top" link on a web page?

Many of the longer web pages have them, including this site, but when I need the header I invariably find myself scrolling, even on my desktop which doesn't have a wheel.

I wonder why?

(Yeah, I know. I really ought to get out more!)

anskyber 09:37 30 Jul 2007

I use it.....when I remember.

Taff™ 09:48 30 Jul 2007

I normally use the CTRL Key + Home Key to get to the top and CTRL + End for the bottom. Recently I installed IE7 Pro and use the mouse gestures to scroll up and down - basically right clicking the web page and dragging the mouse in various directions. Down scrolls down, up scrolls up, left goes back a page etc. Brilliant add on for IE7.

Cymro. 16:09 30 Jul 2007

Thanks for that. I never did bother to learn all those Windows keyboard shortcuts. This one seems handy.

Stuartli 16:15 30 Jul 2007

Or you can place the cursor at the top or bottom of the scroll bar just outside the arrows and left click; placing the cursor on the arrows allows slower scrolling.

In IE (but not Firefox) and other MS applications and programs you can right click on the scroll bar and select from seven different scrolling options.

lisa02 16:17 30 Jul 2007

I click my wheel and move the mouse up as it's much quicker than anything else.

Cymro. 16:23 30 Jul 2007

Well who would have thought?
So there's something else I did not know, mind you there's a lot I don`t know.

postie24 16:24 30 Jul 2007

Bookmarked.

Stuartli 16:28 30 Jul 2007

Most people have no idea of how many, many clever little tricks and shortcuts there are that have been conceived by software designers.

It's great fun finding out though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone