BA Strike

morddwyd 08:29 20 Mar 2010

Let me say at the outset that I can no longer travel by air so I am unlikely to be directly affected (tho’ the electoral fallout may have some indirect influence on my life), but is the current news coverage a bit OTT?

Given that there are many, like the FE, whose whole livelihood depends on reliable air travel, they are still a small number.

Since action is not taking place over a holiday period the percentage of the news watching population affected must be very small.

The rail strike, which will affect a much greater proportion, doesn’t seem to be getting anywhere near so much attention.

Cymro. 11:22 20 Mar 2010

No doubt people will be posting on this one about how wrong they think BA workers are to be taking this action. They should remember that these workers have been forced by the "macho" BA management in to a corner.

The Union don`t want this strike and have virtually gone on their knees to BA only to have an original offer withdrawn and replaced by one that was even worse. BA managment knew very well that this offer would be rejected by the workforce.

On two separate occasions the workforce have overwhelmingly voted for strike action. Why do you think this is so? Even when all sorts of threats are made by management and when their own Union don`t want strike action the workers still vote for a strike.

These workers are desperate people who are willing to gamble everything in an attempt to preserve their pay and conditions. BA management know this and are only too willing to force the issue in an attempt to break the workforce and their Union.

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:33 20 Mar 2010

They could always vote with their feet if the pay and conditions are so horrendous. They could join another airline......oops, forgot, they are on much more pay than all the rest...how silly of me.

G

michaelw 11:36 20 Mar 2010

...These workers are desperate people who are willing to gamble everything in an attempt to preserve their pay and conditions. BA management know this and are only too willing to force the issue in an attempt to break the workforce and their Union...

They'll be even more desperate when they lose their jobs and other airlines have no vacancies.

Cymro. 11:39 20 Mar 2010

Is that not exactly what they are doing by taking strike action?
If and when a worker feels he is hard done by (whether rightly so or not) he is intitled to withdraw his labour.

morddwyd 11:42 20 Mar 2010

Yes, but the thread isn't about the strike.

It's about the press coverage.

Cymro. 11:43 20 Mar 2010

Yes well that is exactly the risk they are taking.
So as I said they are desperate people who feel they are being treated very badly. How many of us would put up with the sort of bulling that these people have been faced with. If I was in their place I would also be out on strike. Best of luck to them.

Mr Mistoffelees 11:43 20 Mar 2010

Whilst I agree BA management have handled this dispute poorly, I do not believe that the blame for this dispute escalating can be entirely their fault.

BA have to reduce costs or face, eventually, the prospect of going under, like many airlines before them. BBC: "BA suffered a loss before tax of £342m for the nine months to the end of December 2009"

The immediate losses due to the strike and future losses, due to customers lost to other airlines, will only serve to make the financial situation faced by BA even worse.

Everyone, working for businesses having a hard time during the recession, has to face-up to the need for belt-tightening measures. Otherwise face-up to the prospect of redundancy. Contract boners, at the abattoir where I work, have been forced to accept an 8.5% pay cut this year.

Cymro. 11:47 20 Mar 2010

The mainly Tory press are treating this in much the way I would expect them to do. With a general election just around the corner they know full well that this can only damage the Labour party.

sunnystaines 11:57 20 Mar 2010

next gov't need to scrap the rule that prevents the employer from sacking strikers.

Quickbeam 11:59 20 Mar 2010

It's all part of the desire for the retro lifestyle, a few power cuts should add to the general retro ambience... and buy a bucket now before the shortage for standpipe week.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?