BA Passenger to sue for trauma caused

Mike D 10:58 08 Feb 2008

by the BA38 crash landing at Heathrow. Personal injury lawyers say that passengers affected by the trauma of the landing should be able to claim £85000 each.(BBC News) Good grief, they survived, what more do they want? I don't suppose the pilots actually wanted such a traumatic landing themselves. It's about time this culture of blame and compensation is looked at sensibly.

Cymro. 11:16 08 Feb 2008

If they had such a landing in the USA then the American lawyers would be suing for a lot more. It is the way of things these days.

Mind you I must admit if, I was on that plane and a lawyer offered to take on my case with a chance of some compensation I would probably go for it.

beeuuem 12:04 08 Feb 2008

The alterantice view "My escape from BA038 was damn fun"
click here

Colin 12:26 08 Feb 2008

Cymro - isn't your post hypocritical? You think that the compensation culture is wrong but if it comes your way you want a piece of it?

wee eddie 12:55 08 Feb 2008

If the situation is as described.

I would be glad to see any extraneous compensation claims thrown out and Costs awarded against them.

Of course, anyone that suffered real, as opposed to imaginary, injuries should get whatever is their due.

robgf 13:47 08 Feb 2008

Surely any claim would fail, as there was loads of news footage of the passengers after the crash, saying that they didn't realise that they had crashed, they just thought it was a bumpy landing.

I would have thought that if that footage was shown in court, the case would be laughed out.

IMOP, they should be grateful they all walked away unharmed. Perhaps a condition of any compensation, should be that they have the body part of their choice, ripped off, to give them something to complain about.

Cymro. 13:58 08 Feb 2008

"isn't your post hypocritical? You think that the compensation culture is wrong but if it comes your way you want a piece of it?"

Yes indeed it does make me a bit of a hypocrite, but then I don`t think that many of us would refuse the chance of some compo.
Would you say no if it was you who was on that plane?

Colin 15:00 08 Feb 2008

It may surprise you but I would say no. I have a conscience and do not aspire to the thought that something is only wrong because I can’t do it or be a part of it.

TopCat® 15:33 08 Feb 2008

When you really think about it and weigh up the possible alternatives that could have happened that day, that aircraft made a truly fortuitous landing. The fact that no one was seriously injured by the hard landing or the rapid evacuation process was another huge bonus, and if I had been onboard it, then the very fact that I had survived would have been compensation enough.

I think this 'sue on sight' compensation mentality that's flooding this country is abominable and only really genuine and deserved cases should reach the courts. TC.

Cymro. 15:52 08 Feb 2008

So not only am I a hypocrite, I have no conscience about such things. I can live with that.

My first posting on this matter read
"Mind you I must admit if I was on that plane and a lawyer offered to take on my case with a chance of some compensation I would probably go for it".
Does the above make me such bad person?
Just a weak one I think.

Colin 16:17 08 Feb 2008

Cymro - I didn't say that you are a hypocrite, I asked if your post was. Also, by saying that I have a conscience doesn’t mean that I think you don't. I don’t know you and you don’t know me. Anyway, I think that’s enough for now!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone