BA admit to fuel surcharge price fixing

TopCat® 07:45 01 Aug 2007

BA fined £121.5 million with possible further charge from the US DoJ for fuel surcharge price fixing. Virgin Atlantic escape punishment after reporting BA to the authorities. TC. click here

The Brigadier 08:46 01 Aug 2007

'Virgin Atlantic escape punishment after reporting BA to the authorities'.

No surprise there then, Virgin/Branson have never liked BA.
Nice to see the relations between the 2 of them will now nose dive!!!

4gig 08:59 01 Aug 2007

But will we see anyone pleading for mercy in the real dock?
It sounds like Virgin likes to take the slippery snake route plan.

However,with a bit of honest blue skies thinking, this might be viewed differently in the criminal courts. Only then will this cloud have a silver lining!

HCOOH 09:20 01 Aug 2007

Whatever the rights or wrongs, whats left of the travelling masses will end up paying BA more in fares so that BA can recover their penalties I guess. I wonder if Willy Wonka will be dispensed with.

Cymro. 11:46 01 Aug 2007

How on earth can you try to justify price fixing? Surely the only people who benefit from it are the shareholders and directors etc. of the firms who go in for it.

Even if the employs did benefit from price fixing then it would only be at the expense of some other employ at some other firm.

I don`t see how the general public can benefit from it , not in the long run anyway. Surely price fixing is a form of theft and immoral.

4gig 12:05 01 Aug 2007

Cymro well said.

We don't have to go back too far when the uproar started when MS published their over inflated non-American Vista prices.

Packaging was their escape route in this case.

interzone55 13:06 01 Aug 2007

I don't think fourm member is justifying price fixing - read the middle paragraph again.

"price fixing is what kept UK manufacturing from staying competitive in a global market."

4gig
What on earth are you talking about?

spuds 13:12 01 Aug 2007

I notice that the usual route of director's resignations as come into play, but will this prevent the US authorities and courts seeking out 'individuals' for further punishment, as they have suggested, when the UK seems to have closed the chapter of this 'unfortunate' saga.

Did the director's who resigned, leave without recompense. Or did they receive the usual golden handshake with perks for previous services rendered!.

I also notice in one report, that one BA director seems to think that this should not effect the public!.

Cymro. 13:22 01 Aug 2007

I have reread your post more carefully this time and am glad that you refused to co-operate with price fixing.

Forum Editor 20:01 01 Aug 2007

if airline prices go into freefall the people who will ultimately suffer are the airline staff who will be made redundant and the travelling public.

Running an airline is an incredibly expensive business - a new 787 'Dreamliner' will cost between $146 and $200 million, depending on the version ordered, and so far the world's airlines have ordered about 680 of them. That's a vast amount of money to find by anyone's standards, and ultimately it can only come from one place - you and me, the people who fly.

If you force the airline business into a situation whereby everyone must compete ruthlessly for every passenger on every route you will end up with less choice, and a less enjoyable flight as airlines cut everything possible to the bone. Fuel and other operating costs will continue to rise, but everyone wants to fly. Somehere, something has to give. We've seen a similar situation in the computer industry; we, the buying public have become obsessed with trawling the internet for the lowest price on just about everything, and the result is fewer suppliers and a declining standard of customer service as companies struggle to make the business work on ever decreasing margins.

I'm not condoning price-fixing rings, I'm merely pointing out that behaving like a pack of baying hounds every time we catch someone doing something to increase profitability might in the end be counter-productive. We may end up sawing the branch on which we sit.

TopCat® 22:00 01 Aug 2007

BA's fine has risen sharply since the US DoJ has had its say. TC. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?