wolfie3000 00:22 16 Oct 2005

Just wondering why in the pcadvisor forum why we cant have avatars?
As many other forums allow them?

Kev.Ifty 00:26 16 Oct 2005

Why would you want one?

VoG II 00:32 16 Oct 2005

Do you really want to see click here every time that I post a message?

Kev.Ifty 00:46 16 Oct 2005

I think one has to take into account that this site is very popular and, more importantly FREE.

All those other sites that have blinky flashy stuff don't attract as much traffic as this one.

So anything which is likely to use up precious bandwidth or slow down the Forum is removed/not allowed...

It's like a 'racing snake'. Only got the bits you need for speed ;-)

Kev.

wolfie3000 00:52 16 Oct 2005

I guess it makes sense not to use avatars because of bandwidth just thought it would make the forum a little different thats all.

wolfie3000 00:55 16 Oct 2005

Heres my avatar.
click here

wee eddie 08:26 16 Oct 2005

Most of the forums that I visit, where Avatars are in use, have a sort of "Smart Alec" Culture.

More time is spent belittling each other than addressing the forum's raison d'etre.

Forum Editor 09:31 16 Oct 2005

You only have to take a look at forums who allow them to see why.

amonra 14:00 16 Oct 2005

Quite right FE, all extraneous matter detracts from the site content. If anyone wants to display their artistic skills, there are dozens of forums plastered with flashing lights and weird designs they can join. Keep this site simple.( and useful).

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:07 16 Oct 2005

I cheated and included mine in my nickname.

:0)

/\0/\

Nellie2 18:49 16 Oct 2005

Each to their own.. but I post on a lot of forums that use Avatars, some of them are very technical forums. I don't think the content or subject matter suffers because we use avatars. It just sort of personalises you a bit.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?