Avatar overtakes Titanic as top-grossing film ever

Seth Haniel 08:33 27 Jan 2010

click here

Sci-fi spectacular Avatar has surpassed Titanic to become the highest grossing movie of all time

Earlier this month, it became the fastest movie ever to achieve $1bn (£623m) in ticket sales around the world

interzone55 08:49 27 Jan 2010

It would be interesting to see just how many tickets have been sold, as round our way a standard seat was around £4 when Titanic was out in '97, now they're £5.75, that's a 40% rise.

Additionally, most people will be watching Avatar in 3D, which is another £2 a ticket, then there's the IMAX showings, which are yet another £2 more expensive.

I'd say a whole lot less people have watched Avatar than Titanic...

Legolas 08:50 27 Jan 2010

I seen it just after new year. Full 3d throughout and special effects very good, story line very hackneyed. "Worth seeing but not worth going to see" original quote attributed to Dr Johnstone said about the giants causeway in Co Antrim.

Picklefactory 13:08 27 Jan 2010

I saw it over the wintermass hols (I s'pose we'd better get back to the PCA terminology, don't want a grumpy FE) and moderately enjoyed it without being overawed. I was actually dissapointed with the 3D effects, we'd been to the panto at B'ham Hippodrome a day or two before, and this years panto had some 3D sections, they were far more spectacular and 'in your face' than Avatar contained. Based on the panto effects, I was really looking forward to Avatar, but it was not as good as I had hoped.

GJC60 13:14 27 Jan 2010

If you allow for inflation the highest grossing film is Gone with the Wind with 6 billion. I have seen Avatar nothing to write home about all show and no sustance.

Mr Mistoffelees 13:31 27 Jan 2010

Titanic was all gloss and inaccuracy. Avatar all great visuals but otherwise rubbish.

An awful lot of cinema goers must be very easily pleased, or very easily led.

Grey Goo 14:40 27 Jan 2010

Seemed to have "borrowed" a lot of the fantasy artwork from Boris Viejo. Won't provide a link as some may be considered a bit erotic.

Seth Haniel 15:51 27 Jan 2010

also Gilbert Williams visionary artwork -like Ascending Stones - or click here

Forum Editor 19:19 27 Jan 2010

is to forget about storylines. Just sit back and enjoy the superb coming together of artistic talent and technological wizardry.

It's easy nowadays to become blasé about special effects in films, but Avatar is a class act in that respect, and deserves the accolades it is receiving.

mrwoowoo 19:35 27 Jan 2010

"An awful lot of cinema goers must be very easily pleased, or very easily led."
As you say that Avatar is "all great visuals but otherwise rubbish." Then surely you've been to see it to know that?
So, are you easily pleased or easily led? (O:!

morddwyd 21:05 27 Jan 2010

"Won't provide a link as some may be considered a bit erotic."

Spoilsport.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017