Automatic rollout for net browser

Sethhaniel 15:07 28 Jul 2006

click here

PC users will be offered Microsoft's new browser as part of an automatic update programme by the software and technology giant.

Jimmy14 15:36 28 Jul 2006

according to the BBC Article.

Sethhaniel 06:48 29 Jul 2006

Downloaded their beta 3 from Microsoft ( fresh up yesterday )and of course had to use system restore as it just would not work after installation - same happened when the first IE7 beta rolled out -
So have to back-up IE6 ready for the change so I can revert back when all goes pear shaped.

'xp home sp2 with full updates'

Jimmy14 14:46 29 Jul 2006

I too will be backing it up because I like IE6 the way it is and also use Opera 9 at the moment.I don't think IE7 when it's released should be a "high priority" automatic update. It should be a optional update as far as I'm concerned just like MSN Messenger,Windows Media Player.

sean-278262 15:50 29 Jul 2006

Not a hope in hell would I go back to IE, Firefox all the way or Opera if I have to. Only ever use IE when I am forced to by MS, When evaluating a website to make sure it looks correct.

There are too many better browsers about to want to go back to IE. And the thing is it is easy to go back to the old one if the newer version has a problem. IE is a pain in the backside to roll back.

Forum Editor 15:54 29 Jul 2006

Hmm....

I've tried them - probably all of them, and I firmly intend staying with IE.

Sethhaniel 06:49 30 Jul 2006

OK if you can get them to work on your PC?

My PC is totally standard XP home (up to date) no 'big' bells or whistles - but has an aversion to IE7 and also Microsofts Windows® Defender

bremner 09:47 30 Jul 2006

It is going to be optional as it says in the BBC article:

"When the finished version of the new browser becomes available via the automatic update system users will get offered three options either to install, install later or not install at all."

Sethaniel you are not alone. I installed Defender on four machines in my office. On three Defender works fine, on the fourth it refuses to install. To all intents and purposes each machine has the same hardware spec and the same software installed. Thats computers for you!!

georgemac © 09:51 30 Jul 2006

I have tried IE7 from Beta 1 to Beta 3 and have given up on it. The pop up blocker drove me nuts, even although I selected to allow pop ups from some of my most used sites it still blocked the pop ups!

Other than that I liked it.

I am now using firefox and it seems very good.

Jimmy14 11:24 30 Jul 2006

does anyone use Tiscali Broadband and have had a try at IE7 beta 1/2/3. I cannot get it to work at all. Just keeps dialing my internet as soon as I click on something, reported it to Microsoft?

powerless 14:15 30 Jul 2006

Toolkit to Disable Automatic Delivery of Internet Explorer 7

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?