Autobiography recommendation

spikeychris 14:42 05 May 2008

I can’t remember the last time I read a good autobiography – I was looking forward to Bill Clintons so I bought the hard back, what a load of rubbish! Its 500 pages too long as he describes every tiny detail! Alex Higgins had a ghost-writer who blames everyone else in his life for his troubles and the first half of Richard Hammonds book is good then his wife takes over and finishes it!

Any recommendations?

Blackhat 14:56 05 May 2008

It’s down to taste but my favorites are, I. Asimov, A Memoir. The sequel to In Memory Yet Green, Isaac Asimov.

And for Biography, Songbird, Eva Cassidy By Those Who New Her.

Clapton is God 15:11 05 May 2008

Need you ask? ;-)) click here

Quickbeam 15:11 05 May 2008

Ian Botham's 'Head On' and Ray Davies 'X Ray' are two good ones.

Coffee Adict 15:42 05 May 2008

There's a new biography out on Brian Clough which won the William Hill sports prize, not read it myself. I enjoyed Alan Bennett's Untold Stories.

bremner 16:25 05 May 2008

I have yet to find a good "celebrity" autobiography. Personally I have struggled to read Eric Claptons as it is so typical of the genre i.e. dull. George Bests was another forgettable read.

I did enjoy David Nivens "The Moons a Balloon".

I recently read a review of a new biography of Robert Oppenheimer and that is supposed to be very good.

bremner 16:25 05 May 2008

I have yet to find a good "celebrity" autobiography. Personally I have struggled to read Eric Claptons as it is so typical of the genre i.e. dull. George Bests was another forgettable read.

I did enjoy David Nivens "The Moons a Balloon".

I recently read a review of a new biography of Robert Oppenheimer and that is supposed to be very good.

€dstowe 16:36 05 May 2008

To learn how not to write a biography (auto or otherwise) read the one from Jordan (Mrs Andre) or Wayne Rooney. Neither of them are capable of writing anything remotely publishable. One of them is not old enough to have anything of interest even to fill the space on a single sheet of Andrex, the other, well, think about it.

I think you can get both as remaindered (cut price) volumes - if not now, in a few weeks.

Bingalau 17:03 05 May 2008

Davy Moyse reckons the one by Wayne Rooney's ghost writer is rubbish. It must be because the lad can't even read properly never mind write. If he had been able to read himself, he would have known that belittling Davy Moyse was completely off the scale in stupidity.

dukeboxhero 17:20 05 May 2008

Not one for reading autobiographys but i did enjoy Ricky Tomlinsons

spuds 17:24 05 May 2008

Personally I find the choice of any autobiography is up to the reader, as each person may have different agendas.

A browse in 'The Works' discount bookshop or a similar stockist usually provides a fair selection at a very low price.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?