Aussies Bid for New Olympic Sport

Taff™ 13:01 24 Aug 2008

Sheep Shearing! click here

Bet we could beat them at that too.

Forum Editor 13:21 24 Aug 2008

I've watched an Australian shearing team in action, and it's a very impressive sight - these people can shear 200 sheep each on a good day. There's a problem in Australia because there aren't enough skilled shearers to cope. It's not that well paid, the working conditions looked pretty awful to me, and there are long-term health issues - back problems being the main one.

I wouldn't bank on seeing shearers of any nationality on the winners' podium any time soon.

Sapins 13:58 24 Aug 2008

Well the Chinese are good at pulling the wool over our eyes;-)

version8 13:58 24 Aug 2008

On the farm i used to work whilst on school holidays the Aussies used to be VERY quick at shearing.

wiz-king 16:55 24 Aug 2008

Yes but can we learn to say "We was fleeced" insted of "We was robbed!"

laurie53 20:16 24 Aug 2008

World Championships are in Norway in October.

I would not like to be a shorn sheep in Norway in October!

wolfie3000 05:18 25 Aug 2008

Maybe they could make gaming an Olympic sport for 2012,
That way i could win a medal for england.
And before anyone laughs it is a sport already with quite a few championships happening around the world.

Probably be alot more exciting than watching guys de fleece sheep.

Quickbeam 10:19 25 Aug 2008

Virgin radio was doing a light hearted piece on a new Olympic sport to represent Britain yesterday. The favourites were British bulldog, marbles and conkers...

spuds 12:19 25 Aug 2008

When I saw the title, I was perhaps thinking in terms of Sheila Chasing or Fosters Can Counting :O)

Forum Editor 12:35 25 Aug 2008

Playing computer games is not a sport, any more than playing scrabble is a sport.

For something to be a sport it must require a degree of physical prowess. Archery and shooting only just sneak in as far as I'm concerned.

ventanas 13:47 25 Aug 2008

And certainly not rythmic gymnastics. It's more akin to dancing than sport. Same goes for synchronised swimming.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone