An attractive funeral package is being offered

Pesala 23:32 31 Oct 2007

That should be a great encouragment to take a job in Baghdad click here

Lol: It didn't really say that, but that's what I thought it said the first time I read it. What it says is actually, "An attractive financial package is being offered."

I had visions of deceased staff members being given a prime plot in their local cemetery on their return.

Earthsea 01:09 01 Nov 2007

'If too few volunteer, some will be forced to go to Iraq - or risk dismissal, except those exempted for medical or personal hardship reasons.'

So not wanting to die doesn't count?

I would have thought they'd have a strong case for unfair dismissal if they were sacked for refusing, but perhaps it's a contractual obligation for a diplomat.

laurie53 07:37 01 Nov 2007

Do they have "unfair dismissal" in the US?

In any case I think diplomats are like soldiers, you go where you;re sent.

Pesala 08:47 01 Nov 2007

I think that embassy staff should be prepared to accept some risks that other office workers would not be expected to take, just as oil-rig workers, airline pilots, police, fire crews, and others take on a daily basis. However, they are not soldiers and should not be obliged to enter a war zone. Officially, I presume, America is not fighting a war in Iraq — but you can tell that one to the marines!

HCOOH 13:26 01 Nov 2007

I suppose they could include a funeral package along with the contract, an incentive could be "Buy one Get one free".

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?