ATM skimming devices

WhiteTruckMan 09:56 04 Apr 2009

I think that just about every ATM device in the country warns us to be alert for suspicious devices attatched to machines. But I've never seen any examples (widely) publicised, which is why I've decided to post this link

click here

(It's a pdf file so you will need an appropriate viewer)

ATM's come in all shapes and sizes, so presumably the phishing devices will too. I dont know how common they are in this country -yet- but I do know that some of these devices I wouldn't have given a second glance to.

WTM

Quickbeam 10:55 04 Apr 2009

This is the less tactful way of 'skimming' money from an ATM click here :))

Spark6 11:48 04 Apr 2009

I note that the guide was probably issued for the benefit of the owners of the ATMs, ie thorough checks at the beginning and end of the trading day and possibly during the day.

I tend to use only one ATM on a regular basis, the one at my local bank, but I would find it virtually impossible to spot some of the skimmers shown in the guide. Especially when the fronts are changed fairly frequently for maintenance purposes.

It becomes more tempting than ever to draw cash over the counter in future!

Mr Mistoffelees 11:58 04 Apr 2009

Can you repost the link please, without using Tinyurl.

WhiteTruckMan 12:04 04 Apr 2009
  WhiteTruckMan 12:12 04 Apr 2009

in that it is a guide for the owners of such machine, but because it is a non technical guide with lots of illustations I thought it ideal for the general public, even though it doesnt feature machines from this country (I think) it is still informative.

WTM

rdave13 12:30 04 Apr 2009

Very informative and thanks for that. I usually have a look and feel around an ATM before using it and also cover my hand while typing in the pin number. Never thought about a leaflet holder near the machine being a camera though.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:14 04 Apr 2009

Thanks for that i will be more vigilant in future.

Charence 14:02 04 Apr 2009

Mr Mistoffelees 16:10 04 Apr 2009

Thanks for the new link.

ronalddonald 07:08 05 Apr 2009

so much for tihs info, i wish the banks would do more as well as the government since its our money that can go missing as well as id.

But as it seems the banks will probably charge us for this kind of service, ie they now introducing special insurance accounts where you pay a monthly fee, ie the insure your mobile offer breakdown service, and give id protection, good if you plan to live in the european, but now good if your gonna be an ex pat like me soon.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017