The Ashes

The Brigadier 08:42 05 Dec 2006

So can we win or is it all over.
2 down with 3 to play, what's wrong with English Cricket. Should they play Panaser & Read, the best glove man in the game?

Apron 09:00 05 Dec 2006

Sir's gone off in a huff. Mixed team perhaps?
I once worked with a dentist who had the test match on the radio all day. My favourite words were 'rain stopped play'.
My condolences Brigadier. Remember three is enough.

facepaint 10:22 05 Dec 2006

Like with the football they arrive with the socks,the pants and the all distracting WaG's.
"do this,do that..." and "oh you did your best".

Never bring the wife to work(and vice versa).

5-0 I sadly feel .

spuds 10:37 05 Dec 2006

I generally find with nearly all 'British' sportsmen nowadays, if it isn't the weather, jet lag, extreme pressures, not allowed enough pre-training, excuses that seem to be the same spiel all the time, then there is something wrong. Perhaps the 'sportmanship' as now gone astray, in favour of high financial earnings and privileges, instead of bringing back the sports and public entertainment side of things, that what once available.

Regarding cricket, give me the old village green match any day. But then again, that can get depressing at times, especially when one of the players wants to leave the field, with his own cricket bat and ball :O)

Cymro. 11:14 05 Dec 2006

I try to see other peoples point of view on this forum, but as I don`t even like cricket I find it difficult. How on earth can people get so exited over something that is just so boring?

Spark6 12:04 05 Dec 2006

Which sports/pastimes excite you?

Colin 13:01 05 Dec 2006

I'm not a fan of cricket or rugby, but a lot of people are. Each to their own. No one is right or wrong, just different.

Stuartli 14:02 05 Dec 2006

Don't forget that a lot of people, who had already written England off before they went (including me), were very surprised at that 500+ declaration.

However, it seems that no other side in history has ever lost after declaring on such a big first innings total...:-(

Somewhat puzzling, the BBC website reports that:

"England now face the daunting task of winning two of the remaining three Tests over the next four weeks to tie the series and retain the Ashes urn, won amid triumphant scenes in September 2005."

As there are five Tests in all this seems a rather strange conclusion.

Cymro. 14:41 05 Dec 2006

Well to be honest I am not much of a sports fan, so perhaps should not even get involved in this one. But even I can appreciate the atmosphere that goes with a big football or rugby game.
As Colin says "Each to their own"

Spark6 14:58 05 Dec 2006

I guess you hail from the same part of the world as me, so I am able to understand the rugby bit. Don't you ever have a quick peek at Glamorgan's efforts?

Stuartli: BBC seem to require a mathematician not a new Governor!

Aargh 15:05 05 Dec 2006

England need Harmison & Jones to find form, to drop Giles & pick Panesar. Flintoff needs to get fit and Pietersen needs to concentrate harder.
Apart from that, not much wrong.

Australia will struggle to complete the series with the four bowlers they have. McGrath's fitness will not hold out, Brett Lee is out of form, and they have no real replacement for either.

However, based on the fact that we are c**p and it will not rain between now and the end of the series, I expect humiliation is inevitable.

We could always play them at football.............

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?