Asda's Challenge 25 Policy

babybell 11:07 14 Apr 2009

Encountered this for the 1st time yesterday. My girlfriend tried purchasing some rolling tobacco, and seeing as though she is 26, she thought like most other days, it wouldn't be a problem. However, despite being a decade over the age limit for purchasing tobacco, she was asked to produce some ID because she didnt look 25?

The other issue was that we have recently purchased a new house so we have both sent off our drivers licence's to have the details amended and were both therefore, without identification.

So we were refused tobacco and had to leave empty handed, and slighty infuriated to say the least.

Just what is this policy about? If they didnt think she looked 16 then by all means ask her for ID, she would be flattered, but to refuse her on the grounds that she doesnt look 25, but she clearly looks older than 16, surely that is taking it a step too far?

interzone55 11:19 14 Apr 2009

Isn't the minimum age for purchasing tobacco now 18?

Anyway the Asda policy is also used by many other supermarkets to ensure that they're not caught out serving underage people. If you feel this is a problem simply take your business elsewhere...

Helen. 11:22 14 Apr 2009

Jack Archer, 87, was asked for proof of his age when buying sherry at Morrisons.

click here

interzone55 11:34 14 Apr 2009

That's because the droid on the till possibly couldn't think for themselves.

when processing an age restricted product the till pops up a message asking the operator to confirm whether the customer is over 15 / 16 / 18 or whatever (15 for 15 cert DVDs, 16 for knives, 18 for 18 cert DVDs, 21 or 25 for booze & tobacco depending on the store).

Most till operators will take a quick value judgement, is the person obviously old enough, or should I ask for ID, if the former they simply press Y on the keyboard, if the latter they ask for ID.

Now we don't know if the operator in this story was simply having a laugh, or had been told off for not checking ID, or was hard of thinking, but whatever the reason, if the alternative is the possibility of a £25,000 fine for selling to minors, it's better safe than sorry...

OTT_Buzzard 11:36 14 Apr 2009

recently started working in a supermarket petrol station. Whenever anybody asks for alcohol or tobacco he ends up asking for ID. Not because he's over-cautious, its just that everyone looks young to him!

Quickbeam 11:49 14 Apr 2009

I was minded to look up the dictionary definition of 'droid'. As I thought it was a shortened version of android, but the definition description was perfect for your use:) click here

dagbladet 11:50 14 Apr 2009

OTT_Buzzard

How bizarre. Can he not distinguish between young and old folk at all then?

OTT_Buzzard 12:00 14 Apr 2009

kind of - he's pushing 60, but can't tell if someone's 35 or 15. Since the place he's in had a challenge 25 policy, pretty well anyone under 40 gets ID'd. Bless him :)

OTT_Buzzard 12:18 14 Apr 2009

and a lot of coucils are operating a '3 strikes and your out' policy. I.e. caught 3 times selling underage and you lose your alcohol license.

oresome 14:23 14 Apr 2009

Tesco have just been prosecuted for selling alcohol to minors. I suspect that all the supermarkets are now getting edgy. The fine won't worry them, but the bad press isn't something they welcome.

interzone55 15:25 14 Apr 2009

The fine will worry them, because it's the individual store that gets the fine, so it'll come straight off their bottom line, also the licensee (ie the manager) is the one that'll go to jail if it happens too often...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?