Are you Scared of Heights!!

charmingman 09:20 26 Jul 2008

I found this collection of photos of a old Radio Mast in Poland,i am not sure if its the same but the biggest man made structure in the world was one of these & in 1991 it snapped in half & came crashing to the ground..

Anyway have a look at photo's number 2 & see how small the guy is at the bottom of this mast also photo 4 & that gives you a idea of how tall it is & lastly photo 5 NOTE the painter hanging some 300 foot+ up he dont look that safe & imagine if there's a wind???

click here

Quickbeam 09:35 26 Jul 2008

I used to be able to rock climb and abseil. I can't even paint the gable from up a ladder now...

day2strike 09:50 26 Jul 2008

I to used to rock climb and abseil as a youngster, but dont mind to greater height as long as the thing i'm on is sturdy!

spuds 10:13 26 Jul 2008

Similar to the two comments above. Use to do extreme 'adventure sports', and heights were never a problem. Then progressing age and an ear problem soon put paid to those activities.

Its years since I went on a top deck of a bus ;o)

charmingman 10:14 26 Jul 2008

IF i am correct they didnt give it the go ahead for various reasons BUT the americans wanted to build a "Platform" exactly like this one over the Grand Canyon for tourist's...
Yeah right like id go near it..

click here

birdface 10:38 26 Jul 2008

I used to work in the building trade and had no problem working on roofs or scaffolding Now when watching the TV if it gives you a photo looking down from a large building to the streets below I feel sick or a plane going over a canyon with the sudden drop to the bottom it's just the same stomach tightens and have to look away as I get a bit dizzy.I was up on the roof fixing my TV aerial last year and no problem.Just seems to be when watching the Telly or films.I do not have a passport but just wondered how I would get on if I had to fly somewhere.

Quickbeam 10:43 26 Jul 2008

The best film for giving you vertigo is the newest King Kong. When I saw it at the pictures I felt quite giddy during the final scenes on top of the Chrysler(?) building.

charmingman 11:42 26 Jul 2008
  TopCat® 13:02 26 Jul 2008

mast in Yorkshire, the highest in Britain. It had only been in service five years before it fell that winter. They actually found Polish workers to build the replacement, as they were the only ones who would do the work in those icy conditions. TC. click here

Starfox 14:04 26 Jul 2008

I lived in the village of Emley at the time the mast fell and had driven past it about an hour before it came down. There used to be signs on the surrounding roads warning of falling ice chunks which fell from the guy ropes.

Wonder what health and safety would say to that these days as the ice chunks were 6 foot long icicles.;o)

Forum Editor 15:35 26 Jul 2008

but I've flown out over the edge in a helicopter, and the sudden change in relative height is a weird feeling. The pilot hovered in the centre of the canyon and gradually descended - it was quite an experience.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?