Are you proud of your family?

Noels 15:10 03 Feb 2009

I am proud of my daughter in law who is a school secretary in "The Last of the summer wine" country because she walked the four miles to her school yesterday and today because she knew that the head teacher all the staff and pupils would be there. They were there.
I say well done.
Once upon a time it was a challenge to get to work in difficult times. Nowadays people can't hack it. They don't like yomping!
Regards
Noels

dagnammit 15:29 03 Feb 2009

I'm extremely proud of my daughters too.

The mischievous baby is just gearing up to start walking we trying our best to get her going...

The middle daughter won awards last term for "Star Pupil" and the eldest is a pleasant & very imaginative/creative child who just marches to her own tune.

Noels 15:38 03 Feb 2009

Well done. I can't stand parents who are too effusive about their offspring but where they have done well against all odds they deserve a pat on the back and a big hug
Regards
Noels

Picklefactory 15:41 03 Feb 2009

Good for her (And the rest of 'em too). Akin to FE's thread on current social problems, another is that many will use any excuse to 'not be able' to make it to work. Nice to here of someone who is prepared to put the effort in to keep things moving.
I often wonder why so many schools close due to the snow? All of Birmingham schools closed today. the only explanation that I have seen so far, is 'Due to the severe weather'. I would have had no problem in getting my son to his school, might have needed to leave early, but so what?
If there are any teachers/head teachers looking in, please advise?

Picklefactory 15:43 03 Feb 2009

here = hear (Teachers looking in, please don't give D- for spelling)

newman35 15:52 03 Feb 2009

Rightly or wrongly, I think that the possibility of accidents to kids or being snowed-in makes these judgements very difficult - and the ensuing possible 'claims culture' we seem to have developed.
Sad, really.

Noels 15:54 03 Feb 2009

My wife and I both went to school in Birmingham in the 1940's It was exciting to walk to school even though your thighs got raw and chapped because boys wore short trousers until 14 yrs old

Picklefactory 16:04 03 Feb 2009

Hmm, should have thought of that I suppose. I wonder if things will continue to get even more ridiculous in this regard? Where will it end?

Picklefactory 16:06 03 Feb 2009

I don't go back anywhere near that far, but we used to walk to school in the snow in the 70's.

interzone55 16:22 03 Feb 2009

You'll be pleased to know that compensation claims brought by ambulance chasers and the like are falling year on year. It seems that we may not be as litigious as the Americans.

As for walking to school, I was thinking about this the other day, and I don't think I ever had a lift to school from age 4 to 18.

I walked a mile with my mum from 4 - 7 at infants school. Then I walked the same distance on my own to junior school, and 2 miles each way to senior school and college.

There's a primary school at the bottom of my street, and I'd say half the kids go there by car, usually big MPVs or 4x4s. I don't think any of the kids lives more than about half a mile away from the school as it serves quite a small community.

Noels 16:30 03 Feb 2009

I hadn't intended this to be a confrontational item but remembering how it used to be in the 1940's
I was proud of my daughter in law walkig to school when so many people appeared not even to have tried to get to work.
Regards
Noels

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?