Are you a PCA lurker? Get in here and explain yourself!

Chronos the 2nd 08:37 06 Sep 2013

I'm interested to hear from all the mysterious lurkers out there. The long standing members who used to prop up the bar, but now prefer to watch through the window. Those who have registered but never posted.

Come in here and reveal yourselves, and celebrate your lurky goodness with a one off comment.

Tell us why you don't post, and what could do to change it. I want members to really get into the forums here, there is, as we are constantly being reminded a huge user-base but only a tiny number of posters and I am interested to learn why so few actually post!

A couple of threads the other day attracted between 50 and 60 views yet no posts which I find odd. I appreciate all subjects are not going to be interesting to all viewers, but 60 views and no comments. Reveal your reasons. Make this thread perhaps your first post on these forums. humour greatly appreciated or serious,your choice.

michaelw 09:52 06 Sep 2013

Yes, why aren't you brave enough to enter the lion's den and get your head bitten off? I'd like to know too.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:00 06 Sep 2013

You can view without registering

However you need to register to be able to post a comment or start your own thread.

So why so many people registered but so few posts?

It can be quite lonely in the forums at times, and we might only bite your head off if your a Jelly Baby

:0)

Brumas 10:11 06 Sep 2013

you can understand my reluctance to post, as it may lead to establishing my whereabouts, so I have taken the liberty of borrowing Brumas's ID. I always look in on a Friday night, I obviously know all of the places because I have, in my lifetime on the run, probably hidden there.

Keep up the good work.

Signed

Lord Lucan

Quickbeam 10:19 06 Sep 2013

"So why so many people registered but so few posts?"

Maybe they're just not interested in the global commodity price of tinned tomatoes.

Chronos the 2nd 10:28 06 Sep 2013

Almost an hour and a half before the first post and 58 views which pretty much sums it up.

spuds 10:40 06 Sep 2013

I recall the days when there were virtual competitions on the increasing membership registrations, but alas those days have long gone, and possibly the friendliness of the forum?.

Regarding views does seem to raise alarm, considering that only a very few, usually the same handful who actually reply or participate to another members time of need. Its seems to be getting a one way ticket affair nowadays. Take those handful of 'helper' from the Tech Helproom, and there would be no Helproom, and the other least used Tech sections likewise would probably follow a similar fate.

Asking a lurker to respond in a post like this, is possible a good thing, if anyone feels its worthwhile to provide a reason in such a formal manner and without contradiction or ill feeling. Nothing like a public or membership survey, to liven things up, so to say?.

On a personal note, I tend to stick with the same sections ,and try to contribute when possible or being allowed to do. But my time now is becoming more of a lurker myself (and perhaps having a laugh along the way), because trying to provide contribution is becoming far more difficult and perhaps impossible?.

Mr Mistoffelees 10:41 06 Sep 2013
  spuds 11:14 06 Sep 2013

Reference Chronos the 2nd post at 10.28AM. Looking at the other sections in the forum doesn't quite paint a very good picture. Business Tech Helproom 7 days/14 days/ 1 month last responses. Web Design 3 days. Beta/Beginners 17 and 16 hours. Some of those with no responses from the originator's?.

Flak999 11:18 06 Sep 2013

I can think of a few reasons!

Chronos the 2nd 11:23 06 Sep 2013

I can think of a few reasons!

Which are? But I suspect I can guess some of them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017