Are you leaving your central heating on??

rickf 19:32 21 Dec 2010

Just wondering how many are leaving their CH on 24/7 at the moment. I tend to turn it off for about 5/6hrs in the night when in bed. Cost is going to be very high for the next bill. Mine's on almost all day as I am working fromhome.

rdave13 19:37 21 Dec 2010

Don't have central heating.

ams4127 19:43 21 Dec 2010

No, mine comes on between 1600 and 2200 daily.

morddwyd 19:44 21 Dec 2010

Mine has not been off since it was put back when we last came back from holiday in 2007.

We have this little doodad called a thermostat, which switches it on when it's required, and off when it's not.

wee eddie 19:49 21 Dec 2010

that should keep the house comfortable without using excessive quantities of fuel.

Allowing the House's overall temperature to drop below Zero is asking for trouble ~ Frozen and then burst pipes, but you don't need 22' or anything like that.

muddypaws 19:55 21 Dec 2010

Mine is on all the time, but controlled by the room thermostat on the stairs.
I always turn it down to about 17 degs when we go to bed in this weather and leave it there till, about 11 am the next morning. At present it is on 24 degs.
The heating kicks in slightly during the night and maintains the latent room/furniture heat. ( That's my reasoning.!)

interzone55 20:20 21 Dec 2010

Mine's set to 18° and is on from 6:30 to 8:00 and 17:30 to 22:00.

I'm away all Christmas so I'll drop the thermostat to 14°and leave it on for the usual time just to stop the pipes freezing.

I'm really not sure why anyone needs the heating set to 24°, just do like the old days and put more clothes on in winter...

peter99co 20:23 21 Dec 2010

Like rdave13 Don't have central heating.

Woolwell 20:33 21 Dec 2010

Central heating is controlled by a programmable thermostat. Currently it is set to 20 by day, 21 in the evening and 15 overnight.

spuds 20:55 21 Dec 2010

Similar to what others have stated. On all the time, and reliant on thermostats.

Tried experimenting with switching off and on, especially through the night, but found this was not practical due to heat loss throughout the house (dogs roaming), and boiler having to compensate for the first hour or so. Now it switches on and off for a few minutes per hour.

I suppose the next bill, due in about two months time will tell, if this was a wise move. At least I have the government Winter Fuel payment as a bonus!.

carver 23:50 21 Dec 2010

My neighbour has just found out the hard way what can happen when you allow the temperature to drop overnight.

She has been trying to save money by only having certain rooms heated for a few hours a day, two bedrooms and one downstairs room have had no heat for the past 3 weeks the others have only been heated in the daytime, result a burst pipe in the loft space from a header tank.

The house is in a right mess, ceilings damaged, plaster on walls wet through, wallpaper hanging off.

The plumber who came was telling me he has been called out 2-3 times nearly every day to repair burst pipes since this cold weather started.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017