Are you comfortable with electricity or water?

Graham. 00:20 20 May 2009

I often get 'Water' incidents, ie. leaks. The latest presented itself as damp patches in my kitchen. After a morning emptying under the sink cupboard, it was found to be the hose connection to the dishwasher. A bit of tightening up did the trick.

I don't enjoy 'water' jobs, I'm more at home with electrics - low voltage or high voltage. I've had quite a few shocks in my time, the first I can remember I was about 9.

Stuartli 00:21 20 May 2009

Not if they are in combination with each other...:-)

laurie53 07:24 20 May 2009

I'm better with electricity, though not as happy as I once was.

Just as well I suppose, with the new Part P Regs!

peter99co 09:28 20 May 2009

I can handle sparks and shocks but wet and damp beats me everytime.

Stuartli 09:56 20 May 2009

>>Not least because electricity is usually easier to turn off when you realise you've got a fault.>>

It's rare for water to prove lethal, but with electricity it can prove to be so in a split second if there is a fault.

However, the widespread use of electronic fuse boxes, RCDs and similar safety devices has reduced the risk substantially.

My late father used to warn me, as a youngster, that "you can't see electricity coming"....

oresome 10:22 20 May 2009

I have worked with electricity most of my life, but in later years would see it as a serious failure on my part if I received a shock.

As a young man I worked on live medium voltage feeders carrying audio signals at 600 volts, often at the top of poles running alongside railway tracks using aluminium ladders. I can't imagine it would be allowed now.

Working down a manhole outside a block of flats, I once stood on a water pipe supplying heating to the flats. A compression joint parted and I was faced with a fountain of hot water around 40 foot high. I was soaked and so was the test equipment and electrics I was working on. The plumber wasn't too pleased when he arrived either!

dagnammit 10:39 20 May 2009

I'd prefer to get soaked than to get electric shocks, and possibly electrocuted.

skeletal 13:07 20 May 2009

Over the years I have, and still do, work on gas, electricity, water, and phones. They all have their good and bad points. All of them can be hard to get to.

Water connections can be really hard to undo and I get scared of breaking any porcelain they are fixed in.

With continual upgrades to cable sizes, I find it ever harder to mechanically fix electrical conductors into tiny holes.

Phone/comms cables can be fragile, particularly if you want to re-connect those “push-in” type connectors.

Gas connections can be hard to break sometimes, depending on what sort of “goo” has been used.

I suppose electricity is my “favourite” if such a thing is possible! (I’d rather stuff never broke down in the first place).

Skeletal

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:13 20 May 2009

My job has always involve me having to repair all types of systems - pneumatics - hydraulics - electronics - electrical high, low and extra low voltage systems - and mechanical systems.

They all have their own relative dangers which one needs to be aware of before attempting any sort of repair.

Graham. 14:39 20 May 2009

I spent a lot of my working life on tour with big name rock bands, all over the world. I was usually 'volunteered' to 'plumb in the tails'. This involved connecting the power cables for the stage, lighting and sound, to the house supply.

This house supply would be 415v 3-phase. And many were live, no isolators in those days. I got a little miffed in Tokyo one day when a guy came up behind me and took a photo using flash.

Stuartli 14:44 20 May 2009

>>..which one needs to be aware of before..>>

That's perfectly acceptable. It's the amateurs who are the problem...:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?