Are we under attack?

Forum Editor 19:06 01 Apr 2008

Some fighter aircraft - Typhoons I think - just went hammering over my house at fairly low level.

I assume it has something to do with the RAF anniversary, I saw the Red Arrows over the River Thames at lunchtime today.

john bunyan 19:15 01 Apr 2008

FE. Celebrating 90 years of foundation of RAF.

Forum Editor 19:25 01 Apr 2008

Thanks - I knew about the anniversary, I just didn't realise there would be fighter aircraft overhead at seven in the evening - maybe they were on their way back to RAF Northolt, which isn't too far from me.

anskyber 19:26 01 Apr 2008

There is a time and a place for celebratory indulgence.

If we cannot do so after 90 years of some quite amazing achievements then I don't know when we can.

Walking in the Cumbrian fells can sometimes be a strange experience when you can actually look down on low flying aircraft.

wiz-king 19:27 01 Apr 2008

If they start dropping bombs and firing rockets at you they are friendly .. just American!

johndrew 19:36 01 Apr 2008

Just had nine fly over us. Probably going back to their Lincolnshire home.

Monoux 20:10 01 Apr 2008

The Red arrows flew over my part of Suffolk today at 12:40, apparently attending some doooooo at Felixstowe

avesnes1 21:48 01 Apr 2008

I stood on Waterloo Bridge(with a lot of other people) this lunchtime and at exactly 13:00, nine Red Arrows in a broad "V" formation with four Typhoon Eurofighters in a "diamond" tightly tucked in behind cruised over central London. They produced the red, white and blue smoke trails.

It was a wonderful display of controlled and understated mechanical power.

The crowd on the Bridge lingered, hoping for more but they were gone.

Forum Editor 23:29 01 Apr 2008

and you get used to low-flying military aircraft.

It comes as a bit of a surprise on a quiet North London evening, however. Not that I'm complaining - they were quite a sight (and sound).

rossgolf 23:56 01 Apr 2008

how come you lived on raf stations FE?
was it good?

johndrew 15:11 02 Apr 2008

`Are we under attack?`

Two thoughts crossed my mind when I re-read this title:

1. Is it a good title from someone living in London?

2. Having `lived` with military aircraft is this a rhetorical question?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?