Are we losing our sense of humour?

Chronos the 2nd 07:57 15 Aug 2013

Anyone seen the rather fun Marmite ad? Youtube.

Seemingly 250 viewers complained of the ad in the less than 24 hours. Complainants said that the ad was "offensive" and in "poor taste",the TV ad is shot in semi-documentary style and follows a team parodying animal or child welfare officers who visit houses and save and "rehome" jars of Marmite that have been neglected by their owners.

To these complainants I say you really need to get out more. There are far more ads which in my opinion show an inordinate amount of poor taste. In fact almost every ad these days. Very little style these days or comedy in ads these days. Not sure who ads are aimed at but they certainly do not make me want to rush out and buy the product.

I think one of the most ridiculous ads is the one for the Kindle, take it on holiday and whilst watching a sunset with you partner,whip out the Kindle, yeh right.

More ads like the Marmite one please. I love the stuff and with my taste bud problems it is one of a handful of flavours I can still enjoy.

Summary of complaint articles.

BT 08:18 15 Aug 2013

People who complain about obviously 'Tongue in Cheek' ads like this need to get a life. There are many more important things to worry about than a Marmite AD.

There were complaints about the GoCompare ad when they showed the annoying singer being shot at with an RPG by Sue Barker, and other 'nasty' attacks by other celebs but he always managed to walk out unscathed. Despite the people who complained the ads were still very popular.

I agree about the Kindle ads being a bit silly. Sitting in a pool reading it also seems a bit risky, I really don't think they like getting wet.

Just for the record I too LIKE Marmite. I've even got a big fridge magnet which says 'Love Marmite, a spread we can believe in' Sad I know but so what?

Chronos the 2nd 08:23 15 Aug 2013

Sad I know but so what?

LOL.

Mr Mistoffelees 09:45 15 Aug 2013

I think Marmite is foul but, I have to agree the complaints about the ad are ridiculous.

wee eddie 10:42 15 Aug 2013

I never had a sense of Humour in the first place!

spuds 10:49 15 Aug 2013

I often wonder if some of the people complaining would complain about some of the comedians who use a swear word every few moments, or whether they would also complain about Ken Dodd's tickling stick?.

My own opinion of some of the television adverts are in two camps, either dire or as a second example well thought out. Usually though, when the adverts come on, then that's the time to fit in a chore, like making a drink or snack!.

bumpkin 11:46 15 Aug 2013

Whether you like the AD or not it has achieved its intention of drawing attention to itself and therefore the product.

Grey Goo 15:23 15 Aug 2013

If their smartphone won't tell them when to laugh then they cannot cope with any kind of wit.

john bunyan 17:38 15 Aug 2013

Very laddish, but I used to laugh at the Fosters or Castlemain Aussie lager ads. Remember when a guy was offered a beer after an illicit liaison at his mates house but he refused as he would not take a "mate's" beer. Chauvinistic - yes, but childishly amusing....

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:16 15 Aug 2013

Humour is a matter of taste (so is Marmite)

Some people laugh at things others don't find funny at all. (Don't like clowns)

Comedians have always pushed the boundaries of bad taste in other to get a laugh.

Does humour change with the generations? or as we get older? I cringe at Some Mothers ...now but sure I must have watched it 30yrs ago?

Forum Editor 18:27 15 Aug 2013

A sense of humour is an individual thing - very few people agree completely with regard to what is funny and what isn't.

I certainly believe that younger people are tending to become less sophisticated in terms of what makes them laugh, and that's almost certainly the result of comedians relying on more of a blunt instrument approach to humour. Comedy seems to have degenerated to the point where shouting and using bad language is all that's necessary to have an audience rocking in the aisles with laughter.

I remain,

Yours sincerely,

Colonel Blimpton-Smythe

Tunbridge Wells

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?