Are we heading for another recession?.

spuds 16:42 02 Aug 2014
Answered

The government are telling the public that the state of the country is getting better, with less unemployment etc etc.

Yet it would seem that the major four supermarkets are cutting back on staff, reducing their future expansion programmes, and in general are giving the impression that all is not right, and perhaps more so for their shareholders.

Do you think the government is correct, or are the signs from the big four plus other retailer's, are telling a different story.

Mr Mistoffelees 17:09 02 Aug 2014

I think it is more to do with people taking their business elsewhere, than a sign of another economic downturn.

spuds 17:32 02 Aug 2014

That's possibly true. According to reports Aldi and Lidl are increasing profits, employing more and getting bigger property portfolios, while the other major four are in decline.

spuds 17:40 02 Aug 2014

MechKB 2

After seeing that programme, then thinking about how others were dealing with essentials, prompted me into asking the question on the forum, and see what reactions or other comments were forthcoming!.

In my location, Tesco have taken a bit of a downfall and loss of public opinion, especially on how they have attempted to force their 'Extra' stores in some areas, when local people have raised objections.

Woolwell 18:01 02 Aug 2014

Are we heading for another recession? No - In fact the economy is growing BBC and Trading economics. Data is a few months old which is to be expected. Unemployment is down which is another indicator.

The large supermarkets are struggling but that doesn't give an overall picture of the economy as it is just one sector.

Aitchbee 18:54 02 Aug 2014

Looking-at-the-big-picture, the knock-on-effects of our unpredictable and at times extreme WEATHER patterns, will play a big part any in any future improvements to an already painfully slow and fragile economic 'recovery' that this coalition government has overseen. Farmers being hit, for example, year after year with poor crop yields/harvests and also the rising costs of domestic heating, should it turn out to be another bitterly cold winter.

bumpkin 19:01 02 Aug 2014

More for less tends to reflect in quality. Have to eat it but I don't like supermarket food. Meat from the butcher, bread from the baker and veg from the farm probably twice the price but decent food that one can enjoy eating instead of throwing half of it away. Don't see many Fresh Fish shops anymore either just vans going around selling selling the sort of stuff you can buy in Iceland for a quarter of the price and just as foul.

Woolwell 19:56 02 Aug 2014

Whilst I agree about the quality of fruit and meat our local Tesco's has a very good fresh fish counter. I suspect that is because a good proportion seems to be local and fresh. Obviously not all Tesco's are the same.

spuds 00:19 03 Aug 2014

It isn't only the likes of Aldi and Lidl who seem to be benefiting from this, because Primark seem to be expanding as well, when other high shop clothing store names are in decline and are actually closing some of their stores down?.

Not far from where I live was a Dixons store, plus a Currys and PC World store.Three Dixon Group stores in all. Dixons closed some time ago, and moved into Currys. PC World reduced its product base and only this past week, we have learned that PCW are now closing and merging with the Currys store.

Quickbeam 06:57 03 Aug 2014

We're still in the same one round our way despite all the bigging up talk from government.

Woolwell 10:39 03 Aug 2014

Dixon's, Curry's and PC World are all part of DSG. Dixon's ceased trading some time ago which is ironic as the group started as Dixons. The group has to make some rationalisation as so much of their products are bought on-line nowadays. When you look at the closure of high street stores you have to take into account the impact of on-line trading. The problem that I find is that it is becoming increasingly difficult to view a range of products before purchase eg I would like to see a monitor in action.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?