Are Twitterers, really, very gullible

wee eddie 12:37 01 May 2009

I was bored when I finished my Taxi-ing last night and after a short session here, went on the phone to a Tech-Writer friend in California. He's tall, very skinny, with a long nose and lots of grey hair, you'll see how important that may be later.

He's just cancelled a trip, back home to Blighty, because of a new commission. He's Ghost Written a couple of Pop Autobiographies, which were very lucrative, but this is slightly different.

He's Ghost-Writing a Twitter and says he's being paid a fortune for hanging out with this "Bloke", and his Entourage (who call him "The Gooney"). Then posting entries as though he was his Employer.

He says he got the job through a friend who does the same job for an equally, well known, Actress. I gather that it's a valuable source of income among the Writers out there. I have no names but little reason to doubt him.

wee eddie 12:38 01 May 2009

How common is this?

interzone55 12:55 01 May 2009

I think the answer lies in the first four letters of the word. Perhaps with the vowel changed for one earlier in the alphabet...

wee eddie 13:20 01 May 2009

that he is not allowed to say what he is doing, but we're old friends, who met while we both worked with David Bowie, and rarely hold any relevant tittle tattle back.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:38 01 May 2009

I would think its very common.

The celebrity is probably very good at what he /she does but does not have the skills required to write an interesting blog.

Its no different from any of us employing a skilled person to do a job for us i.e. Electrician , plumber,plasterer etc.

wiz-king 12:45 03 May 2009

Well at least it will be brief, if the character limit applies.

Forum Editor 10:07 04 May 2009

to ghost-write their tweets for them is welcome to apply. I imagine that many celebrities see a twitter presence as an essential part of a modern image, but either can't be bothered to spend the time or have a problem stringing a sensible sentence together. Paying someone to do it for you is a logical step.

wee eddie 13:03 04 May 2009

I would put Stephen Fry in your First Category and Britney Spears in your Second!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?