Are there more flies about?

Cymro. 11:34 13 May 2008

There was an item on my local radio phone in program yesterday about there being many more flies about lately and that this was due not just to the present hot weather but also to the bins around here only being emptied every two weeks.

Now that there is only my wife and I at home and what with recycling as much as we can, we manage well enough with the bins being emptied every other week.

But even we have had to move our bin to the far end of the garden due to all the flies around it making sitting out in the back garden impossible.

So is only emptying the bins every other week such a good idea? Will it lead to an epidemic of stomach bugs this coming summer? In fact a stomach upset may be the least of our problems as who can tell what sort of health problems face us this coming summer.

rickf 11:40 13 May 2008

Definitely. Unbearable in London with the heat.Lots of them buggers buzzing about and I mean huge ones too!! Accumulation of rubbish certainly does not help. I wonder if the Council can be challenged on Health and Safety grounds for non weekly collection creatring a possiblt health hazzard. Worth a thought.

Pine Man 13:28 13 May 2008

.........not on me;-)

€dstowe 13:30 13 May 2008

Yes - and the bins really stink.

hssutton 14:12 13 May 2008

I have the answer for you, just move to the east coast of Lincolnshire, we've still got the central heating on. Mind you we did have a nice day on Sunday

crosstrainer 14:28 13 May 2008

Oddly enough.....I have not noticed more flies, but a glut of "Daddy long leg's" These normally appear in late summer, early autumn, but I've had loads of them the last few weeks....Perhaps it's because I'm at home during the day at the moment, but seems weird to me.

birdface 17:28 13 May 2008

Wasps or Bee's here.The wife saw one crawling along the floor and picked it up thinking it was a spider and got stung for her troubles.They seem to be bigger this year so not sure if they are from the continent or not.I never seen the sting in it's tail and could find no puncture marks on the wifes finger even though she was in agony for most of the night.

NewestRoyWidd1 17:53 13 May 2008

Certainly some weird insects around over the last two summers.
I was bitten by who-knows-what,resulting in an arm swollen to twice its normal size for a week,then a "y"shape mark on my lower leg as if something had burrowed into the flesh!
Both eventually cleared after liberal applications of anti-histamine cream.

belfman 19:06 13 May 2008

Bin every two weeks!

At the first implementation of it in our area I forgot to leave our bin out. :( the stuff in it has been there for about 3 weeks now and not due til be emptied til next Monday. Definately more flies in our area, not just outside my house either :((

Bingalau 21:00 13 May 2008

If you wash out your bin after it has been emptied, you will not have a problem with flies. I suspect nobody bothers washing out bins and that is the reason for the smells and also for the flies etc. It's easy done and only takes a minute or two. But it does take effort of course.

€dstowe 22:22 13 May 2008

Even starting with a sterile bin, two weeks worth of trash, including food remains, is not going to be very pleasant and could, in weather like we are having at the moment, present a health hazard.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?