Are the Police that blind!

finerty 13:45 12 Oct 2010

click here

Have they run out of batteries they use in their torches, have the spending cuts got that bad, do we need to call in Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson from 22b Baker Street.

Quickbeam 14:19 12 Oct 2010

"Police overlook murder clue... the knife sticking out of the victim’s back"

Even Inspector Clouseau wasn't that incompetent!

spuds 15:18 12 Oct 2010

I think the report speaks for itself. If there are no apparent signs of possible murder or suicide, then the police in attendance will not inspect a body. If any indication of a murder or similar as been committed, then the forensic people will try to obtain and gather any evidence at the scene, first and foremost.

It always beats me how relatives always seem to say our caring they are, after events like this, and usually after inquests. Yet it took a neighbour who had not seen the victim for two weeks, who brought this tragedy to the attention of the police.

Quickbeam 15:51 12 Oct 2010

"If there are no apparent signs of possible murder or suicide, then the police in attendance will not inspect a body."

"It was only when undertakers arrived later the same day to remove his body that they found the 12cm (4.7inch) knife stuck up to its hilt in his back."
That's about as apparent as you can get in my view.

Kevscar1 16:03 12 Oct 2010

What is quite apparant is you didn't read the link.
The knife was in his back. He was lying on his back. They did not have their x-ray glasses on due to financial cutbacks so could not see through his body and spot the knife.

Quickbeam 16:46 12 Oct 2010

So are we now accepting that any dead body found is going to be written as simply dead because the knife wasn't in his chest rather than his back?

That when you look through the window of a a lonely person's house and see that they look dead enough by sight through the dirty nets, that an emergency medical crew isn't responded to examine the body for signs of life?

That if they're just an unimportant nobody in society, a full examination of the stiff to ascertain a cause of death isn't required before calling the undertaker to save on bothersome paperwork?

That's not the sort of society that I thought that I was living in.

spuds 18:00 12 Oct 2010

As been already stated, the victim was lying on his back, with what I would suspect, not a to big knife in it. I know of an incident were a broken blade of a knife had done internal injuries. Nobody realised this until an official post-mortem was conducted.The small cut on the outer skin gave no indication to a more serious event at the time the incident was reported.

Regarding a deceased person and dirty net curtains. If its a warm period of the year, and the body is relatively 'fresh', then a swarm of flies or smell will usually be the indicator of death, before entry to the property is obtained.

Sad as may may seem, but the niceties of life or death are not always simple to see, and thats a plain fact. It still doesn't stop those involved 'thinking' about it afterwards. Now thats the sort of society that we live in perhaps, and always have done!.

Forum Editor 18:22 12 Oct 2010

was the fact that this man's body had lain on the floor for almost two weeks - it would have looked and smelt extremely unpleasant, and that's why an ordinary Police Officer didn't fancy turning it over to look at the back.

The knife was discovered later the same day, so it's hardly a matter for histrionics, is it? I'm sure the officer concerned has been given a good dressing down - what more do you want?

Al94 18:44 12 Oct 2010

They weren't blind when I was a few mph over the limit today!

Quickbeam 19:15 12 Oct 2010

No histrionics FE, I just find it unbelievable that the undertaker seemed to be several steps too quickly invited onto the scene.

Mr Mistoffelees 19:39 12 Oct 2010

"I just find it unbelievable that the undertaker seemed to be several steps too quickly invited onto the scene."

As pointed-out above the police did not, initially, believe it to be a suspicious death. So why is unbelievable they called-in an undertaker? Especially as they did not have the benefit of hindsight as you do now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?